Tesoro Conquistador and Magna-Trak MT202 Magnetic Locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
document.jpg;jsessionid=abchims6xNM1o9P_prfAt

Media Advisory
Austin April 4, 2012

The Battle of Medina, the Search Continues
BE PART OF HISTORY!

The Battle of Medina Society in conjunction with the Southern Texas Archaeological Society will be conducting a dig on Saturday April14-15, 2012 a search on a ranch south of Losoya where it is believed the battle occurred. According to the owner muskets and cannon balls were found while buildings were being constructed 40 years ago.

Volunteers wishing to participate must sign a hold harmless agreement. You are also asked to bring your own water and lunch. Please bring your metal detectors and shovels. This is not a finders- keepers event; all artifacts will be photographed and cataloged. In order to participate you must RSVP by that weekend. We will depart from the Shell-McDonalds on Hi 281South (Roosevelt Rd) and 1604 at 8 AM Saturday April 14, 2012.

When found this will be the biggest archaeological find ever in Texas.

For more information:
Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569
[email protected]

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
document.jpg;jsessionid=abchims6xNM1o9P_prfAt

Media Advisory
Austin April 4, 2012

BE PART OF HISTORY!

The Battle of Medina Society in conjunction with the Southern Texas Archaeological Society will be conducting a dig on Saturday April14-15, 2012 a search on a ranch south of Losoya where it is believed the battle occurred. According to the owner muskets and cannon balls were found while buildings were being constructed 40 years ago.

Volunteers wishing to participate must sign a hold harmless agreement. You are also asked to bring your own water and lunch. Please bring your metal detectors and shovels. This is not a finders- keepers event; all artifacts will be photographed and cataloged. In order to participate you must RSVP by that weekend. We will depart from the Shell-McDonalds on Hi 281South (Roosevelt Rd) and 1604 at 8 AM Saturday April 14, 2012.

For more information:
Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569
[email protected]

Media Advisory
Austin April 10, 2012

BE PART OF HISTORY!

The Battle of Medina Society will be conducting a dig on Saturday and Sunday April 14-15, 2012 on a ranch south of Losoya where it is believed the battle occurred. According to the owner two muskets and a cannon ball were found while buildings were being constructed 40 years ago. Documentarian Bill Millett who has done numerous films will be filming for a documentary. He has several posted on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QabASgPn6B4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35u-wID72g

Volunteers wishing to participate must sign a hold harmless agreement. You are also asked to bring your own water and lunch. Please bring your metal detectors, gloves and shovels. This is not a finders- keeper’s event; all artifacts will be photographed and cataloged. In order to participate you must RSVP by Friday April 13. We will depart from the Shell-McDonalds on Hi 281South (Roosevelt Rd) and 1604 at 8 AM Saturday April 14, 2012. The station is 20 miles south of San Antonio on 281 South

For more information:
Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569
[email protected]

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MoSi, thanks for posting! I can't go this weekend, but I'll pass the word on.

Please update here after the hunt, good luck on your search.

Wayne

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mo....just saw this post....HOPE YOU AND DAN FIND THIS LOST BATTLEFIELD.....next planned hunt email me and I will be there.....Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Mo...How about some Pic's??...or at least tell us what happened??.....thanks Joe

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Mosi, Sorry I missed this I wish I knew... Was expecting an email of notice.
So what did you find?
Joy

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had about 20 volunteers on Saturday. We went to two properties and the weather was wonderful. Late in the afternoon there were only four of us left. I started detecting inside of a dried sandy creek bed and suddenly got a signal. I started digging and after about two feet I could see metal. It turned out to be a metal sign sitting vertically. Other objects were later found in the same area. One looks like a small cannon, one looks like a wood burning stove leg, and one looks like part of a tool for repairing shoes. Sunday only Dan and I participated and were later joined by a newspaper photographer and reporter. We made front page coverage on Monday’s San Antonio Express and News. I have attached some photos, maybe somebody out there can help identify these items.

Moe

Attachments

• 01. found on its side vertically buried approx two feet next to a sandy creek.jpg
    01. found on its side vertically buried approx two feet next to a sandy creek.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 02. Dan holding unknown object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    02. Dan holding unknown object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 02A.  Battle of Medina dig April 14-15 2012 artifacts found 008.jpg
    02A. Battle of Medina dig April 14-15 2012 artifacts found 008.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 711
  • 03.unkwon object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    03.unkwon object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 04.small cannon like object.jpg
    04.small cannon like object.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 09.buckle.jpg
    09.buckle.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 08. side view of shoe.jpg
    08. side view of shoe.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 07. bottom of shoe.jpg
    07. bottom of shoe.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 06. unknown object that looks like a shoe.jpg
    06. unknown object that looks like a shoe.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 05. object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    05. object that looks like a small cannon.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 11. Rusty chain.jpg
    11. Rusty chain.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 10. chain with two inch links.jpg
    10. chain with two inch links.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pictures of Saturday and Sunday's dig.

Moe

Attachments

• 12. object that looks like leg from a wood burning stove.jpg
    12. object that looks like leg from a wood burning stove.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,492
  • 13. underside of leg.jpg
    13. underside of leg.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 14. side view of leg.jpg
    14. side view of leg.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 15. round protrusion on leg.jpg
    15. round protrusion on leg.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 16. Metal band found.jpg
    16. Metal band found.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 18. part of search area.jpg
    18. part of search area.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 19. sandy search area.jpg
    19. sandy search area.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 20. giant oak trees in the area.jpg
    20. giant oak trees in the area.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Boomdeyada

Dec 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Great Picture Moe. The shoe one looks more like an old bumper jack stand foot. If it was a shoe it would be more round at the toe area. Also the stove foot could be the foot to a bathtub.
None the less all are very exciting. Love what might be a canon. I pray it is. That would be so neat. :-) How aexciting... :-)
Joy

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan met with local experts today and it was determined that cannon looking artifact is probably part of an old wagon axle. We will keep on searching for more artiffacts.
Moe

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting, and please keep us in mind for future surveys!

Wayne

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Mo...those are some great finds.....I guess that you were using your Magnetic Tracer??.....Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Mo...those are some great finds.....I guess that you were using your Magnetic Tracer??.....Joe

Joe,
Since we are looking for artifacts in sugar sand I have been using my magnetic locator. It goes alot deeper than normal detectors but it only reacts to ferro magnetic (iron) objects. It also warns you if there is a high power electric lines in the area. It does not react to copper, gold, silver, etc. If you make it to one of our digs, make sure you bring the deepest sensing detector you have. We sure could use ground penetrating equipment.

Moe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Media Advisory
Austin May 4, 2012

BE PART OF HISTORY!

The Battle of Medina Society will be conducting a dig on Saturday and Sunday May 19 and 20th 2012. One of the artifacts discovered at the last dig has been positively identified as a shoe and boot repair item that had to have fallen from a Mexican cart. What was it doing out in a field that hasn’t been used except for a cow pasture for over a hundred years? Remember Arredondo got off of the main road because he feared an ambush; and that road is about half a mile east.

Hopefully I will bring a backhoe if not then we will do as Larry Kirkpatrick suggested, dig in a grid pattern and dig deeper. Its all sand so it should be easy. I have to work with the owners schedule so this is the only time we can go before it gets too hot.

Volunteers wishing to participate must sign a hold harmless agreement. You are also asked to bring your own water and lunch. Please bring your metal detectors, gloves and shovels. You do NOT have to have a metal detector! This is not a finders- keeper’s event; all artifacts will be photographed and cataloged. In order to participate you must RSVP by Friday May 18 2012. We will depart from the Shell-McDonalds on Hi 281 South (Roosevelt Rd) and 1604 at 9 AM Saturday May 19, 2012. The station is 20 miles south of San Antonio on 281 South NOTICE TIME CHANGE!

For more information:
Dan Arellano President
Battle of Medina Society
512-826-7569
[email protected]

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...I will be there too....I am all excited...all of these hunts gets my adrenalin aflowing....Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Moe....who found the shoe and boot repair item...?? Was it you ??......How deep was it ??.....I am trying to determine what detectors to bring??.....I am really considering bringing my Garrett BFO Treasure Hunter...I know that most will consider this detector to be obsolete....but it really has an affinity for finding large iron and with the 12 by 24 inch coil....it will find iron deep......Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe....who found the shoe and boot repair item...?? Was it you ??......How deep was it ??.....I am trying to determine what detectors to bring??.....I am really considering bringing my Garrett BFO Treasure Hunter...I know that most will consider this detector to be obsolete....but it really has an affinity for finding large iron and with the 12 by 24 inch coil....it will find iron deep......Joe

Joe,
I think it was found by the lady or her husband that were still detecting with us and was probably under a foot deep. All the items pictured were under a foot deep except for my milk sign, which was over two feet deep. I forgot to measure it but if you look at the picture, it is taller and just as wide as my 5 gallon bucket in the background. It radiated a good size magnetic field which I was able to detect with my magnetic locator. Since we are looking for artifacts from a battle that took place 199 years ago, I recommend you bring your Garrett BFO for sure. If it requires a mule to pull it, then I would consider it obsolete, but bring it anyway and we will try to find a mule for you.

Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Moe...you are funny...by obsolete...i did not mean heavy...I consider it to be about average weight for a detector ....just that most people do Not even know what a BFO is??...Most consider a VLF type to go deeper...which may be true for black gumbo type dirt.....but in sugar type sand ....the BFO should go plenty deep plus it does not have the affinity of attracting all of the small iron....ie...iron nails.....may bring one of each....LOL.....Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Moe...you mentioned a Backhoe...that maybe a good idea....I am wondering if really heavy items just sank out of site like quicksand...since we are referring to sugar type sand...I mean if we could get a foot or more raked off the surface...then of course the detectors could go deeper.....Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread