A question for Houston area residents about oyster shells

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been hunting with my stepfather who lives down in Houston. He is a beginner and I have been doing research for us before we go and hunt. I locate schools and parks that were in existence in the 1940's and earlier. The problem is that when we get on site, once down about 4-6 inches we run into a layer of oyster shells. I'm trying to figure out if this is naturally occurring from a recession of the tidal waters over time.... or if this is use of dredged materials brought in?

Perhaps you folks in that area have come to the same conclusion that this layer of oyster shells is a pain in the @$$.

I was hoping someone could throw me a bone about this... because I am working hard to get my Stepdad on some good hunting.... just to get thwarted by what I suspect is some serious overburden.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually most of us really like the areas with the shells as it is an indicator of OLD. Almost everyone used the shells for streets, driveways, parking lots, etc. and in them are lots and lots of old coins. Tough to dig in but a shooter spade shovel is the ticket.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Actually most of us really like the areas with the shells as it is an indicator of OLD. Almost everyone used the shells for streets, driveways, parking lots, etc. and in them are lots and lots of old coins. Tough to dig in but a shooter spade shovel is the ticket.

Agreed......gets very muddy in winter-spring.......oyster shell was plentiful and free....used for every manner of road-trail-path-driveway-garage,etc....it's under ground level b/c it was used in some of those muddy areas.....I've made good finds in oyster shell.....it's worth checkin' out....gl and hh!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It was used for fill in the old days and I know into the 50's and 60's. Used all along the Texas coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions