kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RE: Benbrook Lake...

I took the family metal detecting yesterday at Benbrook Lake by the old Bahama Beach area. The lake is a little low, so I figured it would be easier to get some stuff, wrong! A few finds but mostly trash after the first find of a modern 1978 nickel and a pyramid sinker. I thought it was gonna be easy diggin' but after the first 2" of sand it was a thick mud almost clay like and the abundance of old beer cans did not work well with my ACE 250. Anyone else have any luck in the area around the lake? We tried to go to the area where the old Benbrook Air Field was but too many people were there to be comfortable to metal detect while soccer practice was going on at the elementary school. If anyone has any suggestions let me know...thanks!:dontknow:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have hit all sides of Benbrook Lake for around 15 years now. Found lots of good stuff when water was low. Only been there a few times this year and almost went last weekend. Working on a boat now to hit some new areas. It is pretty trashy but there is still stuff to be found though the easy pickings are either gone or covered up at the moment.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know about the ruins on the east side of the lake south of Southwest Christian School? I have not metal detected there as of yet, but I went with my eldest son two weeks ago and we found a geocache there while we were poking around the area. It was just too darn hot to metal detect at the time. Best I can tell is the place was built around the time the lake itself was constructed and it is either on Army Corps of Engineers land or Sid W. Richardson Foundation property. If you know anything about it let me know...I will try to post some pictures we have of it though they are on my phone right now, and I have not had a chance to download them yet to upload them here.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There are several ruins I have hunted above and below the water when level goes down. The place you are talking about I believe they call the Cannibal Ruins? Found a video, is this the place?

I have hunted and found several silvers along the shore in front of the Christian Academy but have not made it to the place you went geocahcing, or the place in the video. The horse trails will get you just about anywhere around the lake, a long walk on foot but on NW side, past the bald eagle's nest, a huge fireplace marks a spot that I can't find out what it originally was. Found a few wheats and what-nots there. If the rain ever comes I would like to check out the Cannibal ruins but until the ground softens up I will stick to the shore where I can actually make a dent. Have a few spots I plan to hit by boat soon, just good to get out. Have found indian head, buffalo, merc, franklin half, counterfeit morgan dollar, wheats, lots of nudie tokens, gold and silver rings and bracelets, old pistol, knives, tons of lead weights, rare buttons, you name it. Mainly though, always on the lookout for the container of gold coins that was buried under or near the edge of the lake somewhere... Good luck!

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I heard about that container too. You mentioned a place on the NW side of the lake with a huge fireplace. Is that in Dutch Branch Park somewhere? O, and have you ever MD by the elementary school where the old Benbrook Air Field was that the U.S. Army Air Corp. trained its the school south of the Benbrook cemetery. If so, did you find anything there? Thank you for your response!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Yeah, I heard about that container too. You mentioned a place on the NW side of the lake with a huge fireplace. Is that in Dutch Branch Park somewhere? O, and have you ever MD by the elementary school where the old Benbrook Air Field was that the U.S. Army Air Corp. trained its the school south of the Benbrook cemetery. If so, did you find anything there? Thank you for your response!

If the huge fireplace you're referring too overlooks the Air Base, I have some info to share.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your referring to Carswell AB by Lake Worth...RW is referring to Lake Benbrook area on the Benbrook side of the lake. I would still like to hear what you have to say though because I work on the AB by Lake Worth.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The "Fireplace" structures are best reached from Westcreek Circle Park. Take the River Trail north for maybe 2 miles, when it makes a hard turn west, you won't be able to miss the white stone structure. Will be just south of river from Dutch Branch I think. Not sure if I hunted where the air field was, but have found some possible related items, so maybe. But I am ready to re-detect almost any place I have been before.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I misinterpreted RW's post, sorry about that. Yeah, there used to be a huge covered fireplace around Inspiration Point on Lake Worth, used to hang out there in the late 80's. On Friday/Saturday nights, big crowds, lots of drinking. There were a few trails that led down to the lake. Folks stumbling, falling, frolicking, etc., probably a good place to detect...lol. I have no idea how old that structure was but it was kinda odd, just out there in the middle of nowhere, no homes or other structures around it, wasn't a park.

There used to be a "beach" around the middle of the lake, hundreds would gather there on the weekends.

I was stationed at Carswell (Air Force) 1984-1993. Did a lot of boating on that lake. I was there when the F4 crashed into the Lake.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I misinterpreted RW's post, sorry about that. Yeah, there used to be a huge covered fireplace around Inspiration Point on Lake Worth, used to hang out there in the late 80's. On Friday/Saturday nights, big crowds, lots of drinking. There were a few trails that led down to the lake. Folks stumbling, falling, frolicking, etc., probably a good place to detect...lol. I have no idea how old that structure was but it was kinda odd, just out there in the middle of nowhere, no homes or other structures around it, wasn't a park.

There used to be a "beach" around the middle of the lake, hundreds would gather there on the weekends.

I was stationed at Carswell (Air Force) 1984-1993. Did a lot of boating on that lake. I was there when the F4 crashed into the Lake.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home from working a double...I was able to watch the above video...that’s the place I mentioned it’s not that hard to get to...gotta love teenagers making stuff up though...best I can tell is it’s maybe a rustic hunting cabin or lodge...it had metal pipes for gas or propane...there is a second smaller structure and the main doorway faces west. There is a patio on the south side that has a layer of dirt about half an inch. I figured it was builr in the 40s or 50s around the time of the lake construction.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope this attachment works ...there should be about 10 pics of the place.

Attachments

• FEE9D14C-0813-4331-9CD4-8F7DF70C1E2D.jpeg
    FEE9D14C-0813-4331-9CD4-8F7DF70C1E2D.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 157
  • E4AE8702-9A57-42B8-8E99-C2D4C61232C8.jpeg
    E4AE8702-9A57-42B8-8E99-C2D4C61232C8.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 131
  • CDD06F7B-E522-40CE-8809-B32002DD8729.jpeg
    CDD06F7B-E522-40CE-8809-B32002DD8729.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 3F266752-9704-4ECA-A917-B41CD683DB63.jpeg
    3F266752-9704-4ECA-A917-B41CD683DB63.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 159
  • F642929C-0C8A-4765-9DE8-BBC2B1018B74.jpeg
    F642929C-0C8A-4765-9DE8-BBC2B1018B74.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 174
  • CC5DBBE5-125A-4D16-B842-50715EBD44AC.jpeg
    CC5DBBE5-125A-4D16-B842-50715EBD44AC.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 54189094-722E-446D-A133-0883045D5615.jpeg
    54189094-722E-446D-A133-0883045D5615.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 260A7727-995A-4418-B8C0-12395DF8223C.jpeg
    260A7727-995A-4418-B8C0-12395DF8223C.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 149
  • 7929D091-B471-4B82-AB5D-C771448034C4.jpeg
    7929D091-B471-4B82-AB5D-C771448034C4.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 0793E111-3C38-42CC-8DD5-3ADCCDBA56C6.jpeg
    0793E111-3C38-42CC-8DD5-3ADCCDBA56C6.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries 1320, I know the place your talking about there is a pavilion there now the last time my wife and I were out there...it overlooks Goat Island in the middle of Lake Worth. We got engaged there back in the day...been married 18+ years now.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW, from what I know the old air field was located west of Winscott and south of Mercedes where the elementary school is located...we tried going this past Monday but there was too many people around and a soccer practice at the time.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Inspiration Point is a whole nuther animal. Detected there several times with some guys who used to also party there back in the 80's. Pretty trashy now but found a spot where some bulbs came up, like a house was there before the park. Found a few wheats and a few Merry Widows, about what you would expect. I will check out the "cannibal" place in the fall or sooner. Ain't going to find anything sitting on my couch...

DirtPirate

Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in late on this conversation but I'd be down to detect with you guys...I live in White Settlement....I haven't been out this year yet but was hoping to get out when it's not so hot. Maybe we can get something together if my wife let's me out to play....lol. Tired of watching youtube metal detecting channels of people getting out finding stuff....I hear you RW...I'm also not going to find anything sitting around...lol

GL & HH
Brian

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DirtPirate, I am going stir crazy myself though new to metal detecting...there are quite a few places around Benbrook Lake that I am interested in going to when this Texas heat stops! RW, I saw the place you mentioned by west creek...? what is that circular formation to the southwest of it in the open field? water hole or mound? Also, I noticed a grouping of some places possibly easier to get to in Mustang Creek looks like Army Corps. land. I think that I am gonna go ahead and try to get a permit from the district engineer to keep things kosier. Keep in touch you all! If you find anything post some pictures even if its just the place. Thanks again!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is a small cattle pond, usually dried up, just SW of the Fireplace place but it is just across fence, if we are thinking of same spot. I think the main thing going on over there now is natural gas. There are places all out in the "woods" that used to be open fields before the lake. I have overlayed the oldest maps I could find and located many places but a few I could find no trace, nails, nothing. Even old roads and railroads that went across the lake have produced a few old coins but it is the more modern jewelry I have had best luck with, some older as well. The largest gold band I found I was just randomly swinging in the middle of nowhere, maybe 500 feet from shore, so you never really know. I like hitting the old houses, foundations, chicken coops, out houses, any structures... but usually end up moseying down the shoreline digging pulltabs and fishing weights. Finally got some rain. May hit a couple spots at Lake Benbrook this weekend but also heading towards Lake Whitney tomorrow so detectors will be at the ready!

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck on your hunt RW...post some pictures...working a double tonight and tomorrow evening is my Friday. Hopefully, all this rain will loosen up some of the dirt and keep the weather decent for a few days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread