Woodmens Circle Sherman Texas

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Woodmen's Circle Sherman Texas

This building is located at the intersection of hwy 56 & 1417 on the west side of Sherman Texas. It was built by the Supreme Woodmen's Circle and established 25 Jun 1930 . The Woodmen's Circle merged with the Woodmen of the World in 1965 and closed down over the next few years. By early 1980's no one lived on the property and today it sits terribly vandalized and empty. It was the scene of much activity over its years and was a beautiful building.
It housed orphans and the elderly over the years.
A scrapbook kept about the Woodmen's Circl Home is in the Rare books room of the Sherman Library.
Mrs. Dora Talley Alexander was the President of the Woodmen's Circle Home.
The Woodmen's Circle Cemetery is just NW of the Home across the road

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3,214
  • HomeForAgedAndChildrenShermanTx.jpg
    HomeForAgedAndChildrenShermanTx.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 8,139
  • woodmencir.jpg
    woodmencir.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,389
  • woodmen Circle.jpg
    woodmen Circle.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 3,919
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Woodmen's Circle Sherman Texas

pic

Attachments

• wc9.jpg
    wc9.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,598
  • wc8.jpg
    wc8.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,541
  • wc13.jpg
    wc13.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,588
  • wc11.jpg
    wc11.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 2,818

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good post Gypsy. Your a credit to this forum!
PS- I found/dug a coin tester from "Woodman of the World" once.

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger

Good post Gypsy, Some of my ancestors were Woodsmen. I found some nifty old W.O.W. ;D badges in Grandma's odds and ends basket when I was a kid.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

diggummup said:

Thanks
I remember a couple of people posted woodsman rings and badges....If you have yours could you post it here.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gypsyheart said:
diggummup said:

Thanks
I remember a couple of people posted woodsman rings and badges....If you have yours could you post it here.
Sure.but it's a "Woodmen of the World" not "Woodmens Circle" coin. Here it is, sorry so large-

Attachments

• wow1.jpg
    wow1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,430
  • wow2.jpg
    wow2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,435
  • wow2.jpg
    wow2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,343
  • wow1.jpg
    wow1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2,348
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Its Ok .....I am doing a project and want to see everything everything associated with Woodmans circle or world ......Thank you for posting that.
I think at one time I saw a cemetery post that had the Woodman sign on it also.....

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Does anyone happen to know who one would speak to to hunt this property?
Baggins

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

I believe this is a Google Earth shot of it.

Attachments

• sherman.jpg
    sherman.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 3,292

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS

The only bad part about the place is that every time i have been there, there was about a thousand posted/no trespassing signs. i always did want to get in there though. i grew up just about 10 miles north of there in Denison. my dad used to take me past there and talk about how if were only not posted... good luck getting in there, and make sure you post about what you find!

phxmark123

Apr 9, 2005
Sherman Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

I have always wondered about this site. I live about 5 minutes from Woodmans Circle. I would love to take my Ace 250 thru there. My wife says its owned by lawyers and it is very dangerous inside. She's been inside of there when she was younger. She said get the address and she will find out who owns it. Maybe we could search outside the building if we promise not to go inside.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

If you get permission and want some company, let me know. I would love to detect that place.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

Hey guys keep me posted as well, would love to go hunt that place!
Baggins

phxmark123

Apr 9, 2005
Sherman Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

Ok, from what research I have done on it, rumor has it that a lawyer that practices in Sherman owns it. My weekend starts on Wed. I will check into it then. I talked to some coworkers and they said they used to live in the apartments next to it and every Halloween they would see flashlights there and then the police would come and haul them off.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

Looks like a good place to hunt. If you guys get permission and want an extra hand, email me, I'd like to hunt that also. I live in Angleton. Right down FM 2004 close to Alta Loma near Galveston, there is an old building where, I believe, they used to build blimps during WWII. I tried to get permission a couple of times but have always been denied. There used to sit another building like it across 2004 and the last few years they have built homes where that building used to sit. There is still an old horse stable with what looks like a Rodeo Arena, I'll have to ask one more time, I do believe it belongs to the Mecham Corp based in Dallas (?) but don't really remember. Any of you guys here from around this area will know what I'm talking about. John

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY

TexasDigger1 said:
Looks like a good place to hunt. If you guys get permission and want an extra hand, email me, I'd like to hunt that also. I live in Angleton. Right down FM 2004 close to Alta Loma near Galveston, there is an old building where, I believe, they used to build blimps during WWII. I tried to get permission a couple of times but have always been denied. There used to sit another building like it across 2004 and the last few years they have built homes where that building used to sit. There is still an old horse stable with what looks like a Rodeo Arena, I'll have to ask one more time, I do believe it belongs to the Mecham Corp based in Dallas (?) but don't really remember. Any of you guys here from around this area will know what I'm talking about. John

Not to hijack Gypsy's thread but yes I know about the base. I worked at BP at Chocolate Bayou in 04/05 and passed it every day. At Jack Brook's park an old army base was located there. Some of the old pillars are still there. Hunted there once but didnt have any luck. TMAN...

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II

Where is Jack Brook's Park, don't know that site? Gonna try and get permission to hunt the area across from the old Blimp area, I believe that horse stable/arena has been there a long time. Thanks, John

phxmark123

Apr 9, 2005
Sherman Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

I got one reply about Woodmans Circle and hunting there. Third party knowledge though. They told me they had lost contact with the owner and the grass was way to high to hunt. I told them that I guess I will call the city about getting that grass cut. They seem to have no problem giving you a notice if the grass in your yard is to high. I have personally not had such a notice but know others who have. They will even come cut it for you without your permission and charge you for it.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

I found a W.O.W. ceremonial axe one time while hunting a park in central Virginia. Thought you might like to see it.

Attachments

• wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2,000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread