Battle of Medina

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I know this is short notice, but I just recieved this tonight.

MEDIA ADVISORY Contact: Dan Arellano 512-826-7569
Media Advisory May 24, 2008, 2008
Austin : Hidden History

The “Battle of Medina ” Archeological dig.
On Saturday May 31, 2008 volunteers for this search will assemble at 7:30 A.M., at the N.West intersection of Hi 281 South at 1604 at the Shell-McDonalds station south of San Antonio . From there we will be led to a private ranch where the owner dug up 6 cannon balls more than 30 years ago and reburied them not knowing the significance of his find. The team will be led by Dan Arellano, Author and Historian. Amateur and professional historians and archeologists are invited to participate in this historical event.
It is an isolated location and volunteers are asked to bring their own lunch and water. Bring your metal detectors and shovels. This is not a finders keepers event, all artifacts will be cataloged and photographed.
The Battle of Medina was the biggest and bloodiest battle ever fought on Texas soil. Over a thousand Tejanos sacrificed their lives for freedom that to this day remain unknown and unrecognized for their ultimate sacrifice.

For more information contact:
Dan Arellano
[email protected]
www.tejanoroots.org
512-826-7569

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Who all is thinking about going to this??
Baggins

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Baggins, if you can make this, go. How cool would it be to locate the exact spot of the battle and be a part of history. Send TexanConnection (Albert) a PM and see if he is going. He was in on the last one. They tried this once before not long ago. I guess they are trying again. I am scheduled to work but trying to get out of it. Had to work last time also.

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
This is the third dig for the battle site. Last sit yielded some cooking items, not from the era of the battle though. It confirms that the area they have been looking for was a trial commonly used in the past. I would love to go, but with such short notice cant make it. I have been to the first one only and met up with TC. Dan is a very nice guy and full of information. Some of the volunteers are very knowledgeable themselves. They have family history tied to this event and they want to find it also. I had a blast the first time I made it out and suggest anyone to go. Good Luck!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Damn, just found out that I have to work that nite....oh well, I will be checking back to see what if anything was found....Have a great trip to all and good luck!
HH
Baggins

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I made it to the 1st outing but not the 2nd. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to round 3 either. I have my doubts that someone found some cannon balls 30 years ago and had no clue what they were. Who knows.

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm thinking of going. Here's my list of what to bring. Anyone care to add to it?

detector
exrtra batteries
Lesche with belt holder
knee cap protector
paper towels '
water and juice
gloves
Set of dry clean clothes
garmin gps (love it!)
lunch

what do you always bring on an outing, must-haves?

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for adding to the list of "Things To Take." Who else is going to the "Mission in Medina" and what are YOU taking when you go on a day trip/hunt?

OP
OP
cooltone23

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Dont forget a first aide kit. Not a big one, but at least one for minor cuts and stuff. dont fprget your camera to show us what you found. Would love to see 'um.

mike h47

May 28, 2008
Hello I am Mike I have also info about a cannonball dug up on someones property, you can count me in!!!!! surprisingly enough i was able to see it with my own eyes!!! we will swap notes.. and the property is not far from the gathering place.210-430-3212

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
I also found out about this hunt yesterday and unfortunately can't make it but I did send Dan a PM to let him know that if this didn't pan out to put me on his list and notify me of any future digs, this way it won't come at the last minute. I live just south of Houston so San Antonio is 4 hours away from me. John

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
What was the outcome of the Medina dig? Was it the right site? HH

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Yes what was found this weekend??
Also western & eastern treasure did a write up this month,on the first hunt,It was a reprint of the article from the san antonio Express news

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I see some members were wondering about the outcome of the Medina expedition. As someone who went I thought I would describe my experience. A friend and I left Austin early Saturday morn' and although I had a new Garmin GPS (great!) I didn't have a physical address so we just headed down following tyhe directions we had... Dan the coordinator must have thought I was the world's worst navigator as i called him thrice for directions before finding the remote site.. I must say he was patient and friendly. I did find in my first trip to old San Antone that it is indeed old and appears to have miles and miles of grass covered fields in the old parts of town- a great place it would seem to find sites with history. (If there are any San Antonian metal detectorists out there, I would love to hear about how it goes.) Anyway the mission was to find evidence of a pre civil war battle that was fought in the area. In the past some canon balls had been found in local fields. Dan the organizer apparently has written some articles or books on the topic and as word has spread he has been getting permission from private landowners to search their properties. The actual location scouted was off of a small farm to country road (minor street) then a dirt road after that. After finding the markers that Dan told us to look for we headed down a dirt road past some acreage lots including a junk yard. When we arrived we were filled in on where the other detectorists had hunted, from what i could tell nothing of significance had been found. We met the man who had given Dan permission to check his pasture and saw probably about 4 or 5 other detectors in the field. My friend and I took turns detecting and shoveling into the hard ground and turning it over to look for targets. No news to Texans, but central Texas is arid with hard rocky soil and this field was rocky and hard to dig in. What's more we got skunked in San Antonio- not finding anything but junk. The lot we worked in probably at one time had a Mobile home on it because there was an old generator and tractor nearby and we found modern household stuff in the ground ( a hinge for a glass cabinet, etc.) Our road trip was fun, we got some fresh air (mixed w/ dried cow poop) and sun. We stopped at an old cemetery and church on the way back. I left SA having disturbed its subterranean holdings for a total of one lincoln memorial penny- but i am glad i went!

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Never heard of 3 Sisters, thought you meant Three Rivers...

but checked it on the internet and it looks like a great place, just might ride my Harley up there one of these days, I live in Angleton, just south of Houston. If those guys you gave the coordinances to ever go search and need an extra hand, have them email me, I'd be glad to hunt that area. I use the XTerras and thinking about getting the new Fisher F70...HH John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread