GW Painting, Age Before Beauty.

DomAdd

May 26, 2014
St. Louis, Mo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would share my interesting painting find from yesterday. I believe this painting to be old, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks. The canvas is off color, the wood is darker, and it has old rusty looking nails stretching the canvas. Its not signed, but on the back there are two names in pencil, one I'm thinking could be a teachers name and then the students name. I can't really make out either name, but I see the number 400 written on there, possibly indicating a room number? Its not the Mona Lisa, but its interesting. If nothing else I can hang it in the loft just to annoy my fiance LOL. I have been enjoying seeing all of the art people have been rescuing from thrift stores, keep them coming!!

DomAdd

July3115 031.JPG July3115 032.JPG July3115 033.JPG July3115 034.JPG July3115 035.JPG July3115 036.JPG July3115 037.JPG

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DomAdd, it's actually very nice! It doesn't look amateurish to me! The nails puts it pre 70's, if I'm not mistaken, as staples were used after that! The signature could be anywhere, but usually on the lower right or left! The 400 could also be the price! I've found some very nice art that is not signed, but is definitely lovely to me! Great score! Of all places at GW. Keep us posted!

RJA

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great still life. My guess is probably 1950s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread