Omega sterling silver box

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this today for $5 at a local antique mall. It is in excellent shape other than the tarnish and one thin dent on the front about 1/2" long, and weighs 256 grams. I have only found sold listings on ebay for a slightly different version with a textured finish. I'm just wondering if I should clean it up & see about getting the dent out or just sell as-is. 20160412_000109~2.jpg 20160412_000229~2.jpg 20160412_000610~2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were mine, it be cleaned up. Is it a cigar box? I had a hand-wrought married metals box from Mexico that was lined with cedar wood. Most the ones like it were sold and listed as cigarette boxes, so I listed mine as a jewelry box and it did sell for more then all the others listed as cigarette boxes. Nice find.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd polish it up real good but leave the dent alone. Unless you're a silversmith you could do more harm than good. Believe me!!! I've tinkered with enough stuff to learn my lesson. Great find!!

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it to be a presentation box for an Omega watch, or at least that's what my research indicates. Probably made in the fifties. That's why I want to know about cleaning it up, it has collectible value well above the scrap price to watch people it would seem.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KaChing! Amazing find.

Top Member Reactions