Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one for $5. If they're in good shape after a polishing, I'll try to sell at my yard sale or flea market setup. If they're dented all to hell I'll rip them apart for scrap. They sell pretty good here and I price them to move but a little over scrap. A win win in my book.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one for $5. If they're in good shape after a polishing, I'll try to sell at my yard sale or flea market setup. If they're dented all to hell I'll rip them apart for scrap. They sell pretty good here and I price them to move but a little over scrap. A win win in my book.

This one was so tarnished I couldn't imagine trying to clean it plus I had a few dents.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah selling in a flea market would be better, but I don't have a booth as such. I gave up selling the small ones complete on ebay because they just were not selling for much last I tried.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It would much more helpful if you post original weight compared to post breakdown weight.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought 2 weighted sterling candlestick holders, weighed 1152 grams. Bought the pair for $4.49. Sold them for $42.00 on Ebay.Could have got more tearing them apart, but t 2 weighted sterling silver fisher candlesticks 1.jpg 2 weighted sterling silver fisher candlesticks 10.jpg his was easier.

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few sets of weighted candle holders. Some day soon I'll do a before and after weighing on a set. I've typically heard the silver weight is around 10% of gross weight.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few sets of weighted candle holders. Some day soon I'll do a before and after weighing on a set. I've typically heard the silver weight is around 10% of gross weight.
That's what I've heard also. I've never check. If I find those smaller ones for like 2 to 5 bucks each, I just look at them as around 19 to 20 grams of sterling scrap for each small candle stick. Spot price of around 10 bucks each of silver I estimate them at. I always just take the one's I smash up to a buyer of precious metals I know who has a large selection of jewelry to look through and use that stuff in trade. I've got some real good deals out of his stuff in doing that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought 2 weighted sterling candlestick holders, weighed 1152 grams. Bought the pair for $4.49. Sold them for $42.00 on Ebay.Could have got more tearing them apart, but t View attachment 1311966 View attachment 1311967 his was easier.
I'm only guesstimating that these would have had around 60 grams of 925 out of the pair, so I think you did better in selling them as-is. The taller ones are more desirable to buyers on ebay, then the shorter one from what I've found.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
10% is a decent rule of thumb but the amount of silver depends on who the manufacturer is. When I first started I used to write down what weighted pieces scrapped out at. I've got records from several candlesticks I'll try to post when I have time.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 3 more weighted sterling silver candlestick holders, 954 grams total.
sterling silver candlestick holders 3.jpg
sterling silver candlestick holders 2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread