Gorham sterling serving dish

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one Salvation Army in Naples has a lot of Sterling. I was down there a couple weeks ago when silver was $14 an ounce and everything was overpriced. This was $349. No tax and scrap is 504. Going to put it up for 650 or best offer. Might even try little bit higher at first.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468441615.009349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468441643.374535.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468441719.890799.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. You see so many that are plated I was wondering if Sterling ones existed

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find!! I too see the plated ones all the time here. Glad to see someone scored a sterling one!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. They have a lot of stuff that was Sterling actually but most of it was like $300. And then spot would be like 220. They Had a small creamer picture that melt was at $75 and they're asking for 49. Although I did not buy that one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a little confused by some of the figures but sometimes that is not hard to do! Are you trying to say that the Gorham Sterling Silver Serving Dish weighs a whopping 36 ounces or am I getting something wrong here? $504 for scrap and the price of Silver was $14 an ounce, so that should mean that if 99.99999999 Pure Silver, the piece should weigh around 36 ounces give or take a few grams.

Frank

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I am a little confused by some of the figures but sometimes that is not hard to do! Are you trying to say that the Gorham Sterling Silver Serving Dish weighs a whopping 36 ounces or am I getting something wrong here? $504 for scrap and the price of Silver was $14 an ounce, so that should mean that if 99.99999999 Pure Silver, the piece should weigh around 36 ounces give or take a few grams.

Frank

No idea what the actual weight is. Your math looks good except for the fact that silver is at $20 as of yesterday.

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Gorham is usually the one sterling among the heaps of plated ware. My girlfriend's dad found a gorham sterling platter weighing 10 ounces for 40 dollars at a thrift store. He gave that to me as payment for half day's work. Since then, every time I see silver platters, I always check to see if they are Gorham.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I understand now! By reading the original post, I thought the value of the piece was based on the $14 you quoted and not what the price for Silver was at the time. By the way, I checked out the piece on eBay and you quote 29 ounces or 833 grams which is dry measurement not Troy ounce measurements. I just figured if selling something made of Silver, then the ounce weight should be quoted in Troy ounces which is 26.7816 Troy ounces, right!!??

Frank

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
When I list silver on eBay I quote the weight in grams and don't bother with ounces. Seems like that's what most people use.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I list silver on eBay I quote the weight in grams and don't bother with ounces. Seems like that's what most people use.

I think that there are a lot of folks that go by grams because they really don't know how to covert them to ounces and especially Troy ounces. I don't mean that you or Beachkid23 or others that sell on eBay and elsewhere can't do the conversion. I am referring to common Buyers that have never taken the time to learn the conversion figures and don't take the time to Google a gram to ounce or Troy ounce online Converter. I always felt that for large items made of Gold, Silver or Platinum, it is better to note the Troy ounce weight or even Troy pounds but you can and probably should still note the gram weight. Maybe grams is more accepted when giving the weight of items that are .925, 14k or other since they are not 99.9999% pure!

Frank

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta keep it as simple as possible for buyers. If your item is totally unique, it may not matter, but buyers will move on if they have to do "work" to understand your listing. I get what you are saying, but I was raised on K.I.S.S. when the last "S" still stood for Stupid...Keep It Simple Stupid.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't use grams when I'm buying. When I'm "in the field" I do the math in my head & it's a heck of a lot easier with pennyweights (DWT). Bad enough I have to use the Karat system for gold I'm not going to complicate it even further by using a system that has 31 units to the ounce.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions