Is there *really* no ceiling re: not allowing banner finds from our corner of TNet?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because if I never have a better day buying than today I am maybe ok with that. Got a late start and almost skipped stopping at this store, walked out with feasibly $1500-? worth of jewelry for $40. I haven't even *really* looked at 95% of it, including 8 or ten junk bags. My lifetime find today was a James Avery charm bracelet with 11 JA charms on it, several of them retired & extremely desirable, for $4.99 + tax. I pulled another bracelet from the otherwise untouched bags to verify what I thought I saw in the store. A freaking 13+ gram 24k gold & what I believe is carnelian bracelet. The melt value of that one piece is almost 500 dollars but I plan on getting quite a bit more than for it. Here are some pictures to tide y'all over while I check out the rest of this score. I've been slightly light-headed for the last couple of hours but I am ok with that right now.

20160926_195112~2.jpg
20160926_194518.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores! I do believe that is a carved intaglio carnelian fob. The JA is pretty sweet!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are insanely cool finds, love that bracelet ... Banner worthy? No idea... my two trays I found with $1300 of silver was never considered banner worthy, nor the guy who found like $3000 worth of Indian silver bowls or whatever crazy amount of silver he got, doesn't seem fair these can't be considered banner worthy but oh well. We should get our own Banner finds specifically for garage sales.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No banner "because we pay" for our finds... But hella good finds!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, tearin em up!! Good eye!! Can't wait to see the rest. :icon_thumright:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"our corner" doesn't need to be on the banner, and I have zero problems with that. I hate banner politics, and there really is no system to it. The rarest of the rare will often miss, while the mostly common will make it. It doesn't make any sense to me so I stopped caring about it.

As for your finds? AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. I too had a 22K middle east gold score a couple years back. About 4 ounces worth for 30 bucks at an auction. ;) Waiting patiently for my next high karat score.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! Those are great scores and can't wait to see what else you pull out of that lot! Well done!

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly the banner thing was a joke, these are banner finds for me though! Thanks for all the appreciation guys, the rest of the bunch was pretty anticlimactic when all was said and done. The other really notable find was a massively heavy cuff that I knew was sterling, haven't found a maker's mark on it yet but it is silver and weighs 71 grams. And there was a decent amount of scrap gold and some single James Avery silver earrings, also a small 10k white gold and moonstone ring. I may go back today because most of the stuff I bought yesterday had just been put out on the floor, it would be a shame for anything as nice as the stuff I pulled yesterday to go to anyone who doesn't really appreciate it ;)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never seen anything over 22k before. I certainly hope I am wrong and I am sure some of the jewelry folks will chime in.

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely the real deal but I was extremely skeptical at first myself. I found a pair of 23k hoop earrings from India a year or two ago but definitely nothing like this bracelet. I'm going to list it as a BIN on eBay at $1100 and see if it gets much interest. It's a really unusual & gorgeous piece and one of the only things I've ever found that sort of explains how people can use words like "breathtaking" or "exquisite" about a chunk of metal in a non-hyperbolic way.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !!!!! Now that is a find

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so if I go to a coin dealer and 'find' a nice coin and buy it, is it a banner?

OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please see my above comment about the banner thing being a joke. I'm sorry that you came here ready to stir the pot re: revisiting that issue and stuck to your guns even though your comment isn't even contextually correct at this point.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, yes, probably banner. But it really isn't worth it. BTW, What would you buy? "Banners" are ok, but not really relevant to life. I'd rather go dig somewhere and get 100 targets of mainly clad, with no recognition, in an hour of detecting, than go 100 hours and get 1 banner find. I like the hunt, not the having. Remember, all this is just "stuff", fun stuff to be sure but just stuff.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
so if I go to a coin dealer and 'find' a nice coin and buy it, is it a banner?

Jeff don't be ridiculous. You know as well as any of us that is not how the banner works, nor is it an accurate representation of treasure hunting. What we do is more than just getting a "good deal". We are treasure hunters just like detecting or mining. I would argue we put in just as much work, time, resources, money as any other treasure hunter.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff don't be ridiculous. You know as well as any of us that is not how the banner works, nor is it an accurate representation of treasure hunting. What we do is more than just getting a "good deal". We are treasure hunters just like detecting or mining. I would argue we put in just as much work, time, resources, money as any other treasure hunter.

Yes, this. And more yes. Thrifting is exhausting, but can be HIGH yield. Much higher than digging.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never seen anything over 22k before. I certainly hope I am wrong and I am sure some of the jewelry folks will chime in.

Yes, plenty of it out there. Very few marked as such, but the hallmarks do exist. I've seen a 99 on a ring before. My buddy detected it. Buttery-yellow deliciousness. Tested 22K, so we assume it's 24K. Most 23+K pieces are simply not marked. And I love that. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread