Pre-Columbian sculpture or cheap tourist junk? You decide!

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I picked this up today at my local GW and honestly, I have no idea what I have here. This unit stands about 7" tall and is about 7" across. The figures sound hollow when tapped and there looks to be a small vent on each figure where their chests touch the bowl. The bowl itself doesn't have any residue in it (such as wax, ash, etc) that would indicate what it was supposed to hold.

To further complicate matters, there are no markings anywhere on this piece indicating its country of origin.

One thing I do find interesting about it is the shape of the heads. Instead of the (relatively) standard melon that looks back at each of us when we gaze in the mirror every morning, the heads on these figures each have a rise in the back that slopes forward. This makes me think this item may be South American or Central American in origin.

That's pretty much all I know about this piece. Let the guessing begin!

weird sculpture.jpg

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No expert here, but I am going to guess incense burner. Modern.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a picture of the bottom? A lot of times you can get an idea from the impressions made when these were placed on racks in kilns. Tough call without seeing it in real time. The glaze is a big tell too!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in close proximity to Mexico, and I recognize that as what's called a 'Circle of Friends Candleholder'. They are produced in Mexico for home decor and the tourist trade. They are typically crafted from clay and painted so that they look like pre-Columbian artifacts.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at small details like the fingers, mouths, and eyes. See if they look relatively uniform from shape to shape, which might indicate they were either machine-made or at least made with modern, precise tools. I'm far from an expert, but that is probably where I'd start. For me, I'd assume it was modern unless proven otherwise.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
We have one of those with four figures. Bought it from National Geographic as a present for my wife. Our next-door neighbors have a larger one they use as a planter.

It isn't "junk" if you like it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
OtakuDude

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Well, thanks to everyone who answered. After looking up 'Circle of Friends candle' on Google and Ebay, I'm sure that SDI nailed it!

Honestly though, I'm kinda disappointed.

Even though I was convinced upon first glance that this was a modern piece, I have to admit that part of me had this dream that I would amaze the board with my find. There would be calls by people here for me to contact Antique Roadshow whereupon I would taken before the camera to be told by a somber (yet enthusiastic) appeaser that my find was an important part of early Mayan pottery and valued at $25,000-$30,000.

Who knows? Perhaps next time. lol

In any event, this is eventually going up on Ebay. I have no idea what to ask for it but since I only have $5 into this, I'm confident I'll make a bit of a profit regardless.

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there are lots of places selling versions of that sculpture. Pier 1, Spencers, and other variety stores. You'rs only being 7" tho, I don't think you can get more than 5$ for it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter! Whether it's a $5 piece or it's a $5000 piece you found it (even in a thrift store) it's a treasure! If you like it, it's a good treasure! If you flip it for a profit it's a great treasure!!!!! Did you go detecting this week? Did you find a penny? It's ALL treasure!!

OP
OP
OtakuDude

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
It doesn't matter! Whether it's a $5 piece or it's a $5000 piece you found it (even in a thrift store) it's a treasure! If you like it, it's a good treasure! If you flip it for a profit it's a great treasure!!!!! Did you go detecting this week? Did you find a penny? It's ALL treasure!!

candh_treasure.gif

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
One way to tell if it is real pre columbian is by tapping it with a metal rod. If it goes, "TINK" it's modern. If it goes "TUNK" it could be ancient.

Fun stuff you learn watching antique roadshow...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread