Soldier stories

bobfoundit

Greenie
Feb 27, 2017
SD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot until I saw this thread that I found a small reel to reel tape recorder with several rolls of tape and the player worked. It has a Native American soldier in the Army in early 70's commenting on daily life on a base in Germany. I should upload the audio to Youtube before the recorder quits working.

Also a long time ago I found a record of somebody's wedding from the 1940's. the bride sounds petrified as if she's never been recorded before.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
A long time ago I found a homemade record as well. Side A had a recording of FDRs Dec 8, 1941 Pearl Harbor Address before Congress, obviously from a radio broadcast. Side B was of the family on Christmas morning opening presents and such.

While FDR on side A was still somber and moving all these years later, Christmas morning on side B was a complete time warp. With the loving parents and children overjoyed by the smallest toys and utterly uninfluenced by mass marketing, it seemed straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting

redtailvision

Nov 3, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a collection of civil war letters sent home. One was in Sherman's March to the Sea and told of the condition they found Atlanta Georgia in, saying rebels tried to burn everything including cast iron pots. Also told of sneaking out to trade food with the rebels during the winter. Very interesting stuff to read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread