Not a find but some advice about thrift store jewelry.

wisconsinwalter

Feb 11, 2009
There has been a rash of stores now selling their watches to coin shops or taking name brands to pawn shops for valuation.

I am a watch picker. My best find has been a Patek Phillipe stainless antimagnet. Reference 3417. I paid 6 dollars for a bag.

I sold it to European Watches in Boston for $15000. So values are there still but mine was about 6 years ago. My posting about can be found on Timezone and the Patek forum. Search 3417 to find it.

Goodwill has there own version of eBay for watches and items of value. My St Vincent de Paul has hired a former jewelry store owner to shift through the jewelry. She is in charge of the distribution of jewelry for the area, about 10 stores and the watches for dried up old old watches.

Old watches get offered to a local coin store first.

Old women's watches are worth no more than a couple of dollars unless gold. Major brands are all I look for. ROLEX, Omega, vacheron Constantine, leCoultre and a few others.

Men's watches have a value but most buyers are other watch collectors so condition is king! Most watches will always need to be serviced to realize close to full value. So now you need to add $100 at least to your costs.

I have stopped buying single gold filled watches if the lugs and backs show any breaks in the plating.

Look for stainless cases. Seiko is a real value especially diver types. Citizen watches are a value as well.

Always look for divers in your searches. You will always do great on them.

Watches are a great collectible, but be very careful on what you pay for them.

The best gauge of value is EBay sold listings.

I am not an expert but have made thousands on thrift store watches by purchasing the right watches.

Watch jars must have a good men's watch in view before I buy it. Also, if the jar has watches with price tags attached to the watches in it, put it down, it just watches that didn't sell off the shelf individually and are usually women's fashion watches.

Savers has a policy of watch jars being 49.99. That may be softening based on the size of the jar. They too have went to having pieces evaluated.

Good luck on your searches but try to use the mistakes I have made over the last ten years to your advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been a rash of stores now selling their watches to coin shops or taking name brands to pawn shops for valuation.

I am a watch picker. My best find has been a Patek Phillipe stainless antimagnet. Reference 3417. I paid 6 dollars for a bag.

I sold it to European Watches in Boston for $15000. So values are there still but mine was about 6 years ago. My posting about can be found on Timezone and the Patek forum. Search 3417 to find it.

Goodwill has there own version of eBay for watches and items of value. My St Vincent de Paul has hired a former jewelry store owner to shift through the jewelry. She is in charge of the distribution of jewelry for the area, about 10 stores and the watches for dried up old old watches.

Old watches get offered to a local coin store first.

Old women's watches are worth no more than a couple of dollars unless gold. Major brands are all I look for. ROLEX, Omega, vacheron Constantine, leCoultre and a few others.

Men's watches have a value but most buyers are other watch collectors so condition is king! Most watches will always need to be serviced to realize close to full value. So now you need to add $100 at least to your costs.

I have stopped buying single gold filled watches if the lugs and backs show any breaks in the plating.

Look for stainless cases. Seiko is a real value especially diver types. Citizen watches are a value as well.

Always look for divers in your searches. You will always do great on them.

Watches are a great collectible, but be very careful on what you pay for them.

The best gauge of value is EBay sold listings.

I am not an expert but have made thousands on thrift store watches by purchasing the right watches.

Watch jars must have a good men's watch in view before I buy it. Also, if the jar has watches with price tags attached to the watches in it, put it down, it just watches that didn't sell off the shelf individually and are usually women's fashion watches.

Savers has a policy of watch jars being 49.99. That may be softening based on the size of the jar. They too have went to having pieces evaluated.

Good luck on your searches but try to use the mistakes I have made over the last ten years to your advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely nailed it! Thank you for your expertise.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Really, really good advice and thanks!

I'd also point out that the most faked watch I see in thrift stores are Tags. I don't know why and maybe its just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread