Antique Mall (late 1890's?) furniture I need help identifying

mortschool1

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this beautiful cabinet with a mirror. The tag said it was from the l890's. Does anyone knows what exactly this type of piece is called, it's approximate age, (if the age is correct), and any other info? Thanks guys! ???:hello2:

20170610_140454.jpg

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me like a strange blend of late Victorian, meets Art Nouveau (A blend of a couple of different styles.). Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a reproduction from maybe the 20's to me. The escutcheon's (key hole plates ) and drawer pulls all look new. Unless it's been refinished, which would destroy 1/2 of it's value. If we had some more pictures of the different details on the piece it would make it easier to identify. Any maker labels on the back? The scroll work on the bottom doors look like they've been painted. Usually on true Victorian pieces, the tops above the drawers could be split or at least cracked, from swelling and retracting of the wood. I don't see any age to it. My opinion may flip/flop completely, looking at it in person. I was a antique dealer for about 30 yrs. There are a lot of different clues that I would look for, to judge whether or not if it's legitimate.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like a strange blend of late Victorian, meets Art Nouveau (A blend of a couple of different styles.). Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like a reproduction from maybe the 20's to me. The escutcheon's (key hole plates ) and drawer pulls all look new. Unless it's been refinished, which would destroy 1/2 of it's value. If we had some more pictures of the different details on the piece it would make it easier to identify. Any maker labels on the back? The scroll work on the bottom doors look like they've been painted. Usually on true Victorian pieces, the tops above the drawers could be split or at least cracked, from swelling and retracting of the wood. I don't see any age to it. My opinion may flip/flop completely, looking at it in person. I was a antique dealer for about 30 yrs. There are a lot of different clues that I would look for, to judge whether or not if it's legitimate.

I agree on all points.

OP
OP
M

mortschool1

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I don't care about it's dollar value, I just know it's around 100 years old, and I know I got a very good deal on a piece of American made, artsy, and sturdy furniture. I think the two upper handles are new, but the lower hardware is definitely original because there is more wear on them. It does have scuffs, scrapes, and a small part of the detail work at the top is split. I could tell from it and the other pieces this dealer had that it was well taken care of.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread