Vintage mystery piece and stone

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this piece up at our local ARC store yesterday. It looked like sterling but had no mark anywhere. Did the acid test and it is definitely not sterling but maybe plated. The clasp is the vintage style. What puzzles me are the two stones. I am not a gemologist and could use some help if anyone has a clue. The bottom one is the same but just carved into a rose. They have a bit of weight to them so I don't think they're plastic or bakelite. It was a whopping $3.00 so I thought what the heck and it goes for a good cause. Any thoughts on the stone identification? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500760560.217784.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500760574.741754.jpg

Update: I think I got it. Yellow Jade.

Last edited:

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's just yellow glass? Definetly not yellow jade.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be Butterscotch Amber and a real specimen at that, being it looks like a vintage piece?.. I'm thinking you found nice little treasure. Are there any marks on the back?

Attachments

• 61zChpieHWL._UY395_.jpg
    61zChpieHWL._UY395_.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be Butterscotch Amber and a real specimen at that, being it looks like a vintage piece?.. I'm thinking you found nice little treasure. Are there any marks on the back?

No marks at all! Nothing. I've never heard of Butterscotch Amber. Thanks for the tip cause it looks very close to mine.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No marks at all! Nothing. I've never heard of Butterscotch Amber. Thanks for the tip cause it looks very close to mine.
l bought a vintage 1930s ring from Denmark that a jeweler identified as a real butterscotch amber. Your necklace looks old, but it still could be newer and just made in the older style? It does look like its made with solid silver. It's a nice looking filigree piece imo.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500863607.304286.jpg
Look at the back and see if there are any dark marks in the "Amber" like you see in the one part of this bracelet. My gold guy identified this bracelet for me as Butterscotch Amber which I had never heard of. Sold the bracelet for over $200 and that was cheap.
Your necklace should do well if amber and decently enough just because of the motif and style.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1475654
Look at the back and see if there are any dark marks in the "Amber" like you see in the one part of this bracelet. My gold guy identified this bracelet for me as Butterscotch Amber which I had never heard of. Sold the bracelet for over $200 and that was cheap.
Your necklace should do well if amber and decently enough just because of the motif and style.
Most Amber you see today even with insects in them is made of a polymer resin I was told and therefore not real. I guess the real amber is kinda rare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread