Kewpie Doll??

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone help me identify this as a kewpie doll or not? I found a new Thrift store on my way home today and it was to big to shop it all so will have to go back some day and finish. But I had to get this doll cause it was just to old and ugly. But I think it is an old Kewpie doll and I don't see many of these around and was wondering if it was worth anything? I'm having trouble getting the pictures posted so DizzyDigger (my hubby) is going to post them for me.

IMG_20170812_090727.jpg

IMG_20170812_090717.jpg

IMG_20170812_090737.jpg

IMG_20170812_090752.jpg

IMG_20170812_090808.jpg

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any markings on the bottom? I'm counting on a foggy memory but I think the Kewpies were marked or stamped on the bottom. That face looks familiar, wanna say Holland.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look like a kewpie piece to me.

OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No markings on the bottom, just a cardboard piece that it is standing on. I looked at a lot of pictures on google and some had markings and some didn't. Just going on a whim here. Just cost me 3.00 so no big loss if not. I know the face is what looked familiar to me also, that is the reason that I took a chance, so I just wanted to see what kind of response I got from this board. It seems to be made out of a type of clay, ceramic, or porcelain material, but not like fine china porcelain more rustic, definitely not plastic vinyl. I want to say that it would break if it was dropped, but I won't give it a try to find out. it's just really odd.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that's Kewpie doll either. Could be a cartoon, story book or comic character :dontknow:

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a clay art project to me.

OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe that's Kewpie doll either. Could be a cartoon, story book or comic character :dontknow:

I think it could be a cartoon character also. I know that I have seen it somewhere before but not sure if it was in books when I was growing up or on TV. The curl on the top of the head is what made me think of the Kewpie doll. I know that it is broken off, but it was there at one time.

OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a clay art project to me.

It feels more like glass or a glass type product and it doesn't look like the quality of a "school project" if that is what you are thinking of. I'm going to look under some story books and see if I come up with anything. I think that tamrock may be has an good idea there.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Campbell's soup kid?

Nope, that was my first thought as well.

It feels more like glass or a glass type product and it doesn't look like the quality of a "school project" if that is what you are thinking of.

No, I didn't mean a school art project. I just meant something that someone made, rather than something that was mass produced.

OP
OP
Doris104

Doris104

Feb 3, 2012
Concrete, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, that was my first thought as well.

No, I didn't mean a school art project. I just meant something that someone made, rather than something that was mass produced.
It just doesn't have that homemade look about it. Unless someone just has a fantastic touch to their painting, this is just to "manufactured" and correctly placed to be homemade.

Never thought about Campbell's' but I can see the resemblance. Don't think it is close enough though to be one of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread