Samuel Margolies painting

owleyes

Jul 3, 2015
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking around at my local TS for paintings I could reuse for my own work when I came across this painting for $6. Normally I would have considered that too high for something I would repaint but there was something about it that made me buy it anyway. I always try to research my purchases to try and make sure I'm not accidentally painting over a lost Picasso or something :wink:

Sooo to my surprise Samuel L Margolies is a known artist, predominantly for his etchings of city and winterscapes. The painting (I'm thinking it's a covered bridge?) is about 20x28 and the back has a sticker for Loeser's--Brooklyn. The Loeser's department store closed down in early 1952, so it could have been made anywhere from the 1920s-1952.

I want to get an idea of how much the painting is worth, but I only ever see his prints for sale, never any paintings. Any guesses?

(Also, sorry for the pics, they somehow turned sideways and upside down despite them looking normal in my photo library??)

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering that most of his works are etchings and many of them fetch well into the thousands upwards to $9,000, one could surmise that his' paintings would fetch even more. If I had to guess, the painting is likely an early work of his as it seems he had early troubles with perspective and did not get the covered portion of the bridge over the stream.

Frank

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering that most of his works are etchings and many of them fetch well into the thousands upwards to $9,000, one could surmise that his' paintings would fetch even more. If I had to guess, the painting is likely an early work of his as it seems he had early troubles with perspective and did not get the covered portion of the bridge over the stream.

Frank

It may be a grist mill, and not a covered bridge.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the heavy brush strokes. A great find.

OP
OP
owleyes

owleyes

Jul 3, 2015
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@huntsman53 @GibH Thank you both!! It does look more like a grist mill than a covered bridge, now that I'm looking at it.

I am going to reach out to the museum as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions