18K Italian Braided Herringbone Necklace

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Picked up this necklace at a local thrift yesterday. Tested it with my electronic tester and even made a small file mark in the part the clasp hooks to (see picture) to make sure it was good. Hallmarked HCT & researching I'm seeing a bunch of HCT items that are gold vermeil marked 925 but nothing marked 10k,14k, or 18k. Chain & clasp test good for 18K but without filing into the chain itself it's slightly possible to get a false reading. Anyone know anything about the HCT brand?

IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1498.JPG IMG_1503.JPG IMG_1508.JPG

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your good. At this point cutting wont hurt the value. I don’t think that style is worn very much anymore. Heck of a score right there! Even so, it looks solid!

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I found a few necklaces online last night with the HCT hallmark that were 14k. That made me feel a lot better about the brand. I've got to get my tester out today to check out a bag of jewelry one of my estate sale contacts gave me. I'll test this one in a few more spots without filing anything. There have been a couple of this style in 18k listed/sold on eBay in the last 90 days that went for a good bit more than melt. Would like to give that a shot before I send it to the refiner. Either way I'll make a good return. Paid about 15% of melt.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. 16 grams!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Braided Herringbone! Good to know there have been some sales. I had heard that that style is a slow seller and I have a smaller version in 14K. I’ll follow your lead and try eBay first too! I would have called it “twist style” and could not think “braided”. Great score!

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find ! when in doubt if you dont want to file, most high end jwelers cab do an electrical conductivity test, they put a couple dabs of gel on it and read through the piece with an instrument to determine its content.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
nice find ! when in doubt if you dont want to file, most high end jwelers cab do an electrical conductivity test, they put a couple dabs of gel on it and read through the piece with an instrument to determine its content.

I've got a portable electronic gel tester. There are heavily plated or gold filled pieces that will cause it to show a false positive. I sometimes use a needle to "drill" through a piece to be 100% sure. Unfortunately that's almost as noticeable as filing on thin pieces. I retested this piece & am now satisfied it's 18k.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a portable electronic gel tester. There are heavily plated or gold filled pieces that will cause it to show a false positive. I sometimes use a needle to "drill" through a piece to be 100% sure. Unfortunately that's almost as noticeable as filing on thin pieces. I retested this piece & am now satisfied it's 18k.

Good... you just saved me a whole lotta typing.

:)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score BTW... although I cannot say how great...
for I know not what you paid for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread