May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GW’s in my area don’t sell jewelry bags so when I Stopped on my way to the beach at a Goodwill and saw three jewelry bags and two Jewelry jars I thought I’d give them a once over. Two of the larger ones were $69.99 each but they had a smaller one for $49.99. Normally I would never pay this but I could see you very large sterling silver twisted wire cuff bracelet. I could also see another large cuff bracelet that looked sterling so I decided to pull the trigger. Unfortunately there was no gold but I cleaned up on the silver. I ended up finding another heavy sterling silver necklace with what appears to be old Middle Eastern coins on it and another sterling necklace. I don’t have my scale with me but I think it’s for 4-5 ozt total with the twisted wire cuff bracelet at least 2.5 ounces. I should be able to double my money on this by selling these items on eBay. Not a homerun but still a lot of fun and I still have all that leftover jewelry. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530361044.104382.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530361062.727311.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made several trips to 3 GWs in my area and haven't seen the first piece of jewelry. I have heard that they take the good stuff and do something else with it. Anybody know about this. my local SA thrift store does have jewelry but a jar is 25.00 and is hard to tell what's in them.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made several trips to 3 GWs in my area and haven't seen the first piece of jewelry. I have heard that they take the good stuff and do something else with it. Anybody know about this. my local SA thrift store does have jewelry but a jar is 25.00 and is hard to tell what's in them.

GW and SA are both notoriously known for cherry picking all incoming items...

What you usually find are the slips or misses.

At least in my neck of the woods anyway.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other

Depends on where you live. A lot of GWs put the good stuff online on their website where people will pay above retail because they feel they are helping charity IMO. My local GWs have an online quota to meet as well as their in store goal. So they divide it up between sending good stuff to corporate for online, and keeping stuff and pricing it a little higher. And then the stuff they miss. I do very well at my GWs even with so many people looking for the same stuff.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a risky 50 bucks. Hopefully it panned out for ya. I've seen bags as high as $79.95 at my GW. I always ask can't I open this and they always say no. I've only bought a few because I could see a guaranteed winner in there.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That was a risky 50 bucks. Hopefully it panned out for ya. I've seen bags as high as $79.95 at my GW. I always ask can't I open this and they always say no. I've only bought a few because I could see a guaranteed winner in there.

I see jars on a fairly regular basis at our store. Prices run between $8 and $40. I never buy unless I see something in the jar I know will sell for enough to meet my regular profit margin. IMO anything else is gambling.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few GWs have started carrying watches and jewelry in my area. Every time I go and I would ask about it. You should do the same and maybe they’ll get the message and start carrying them again

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The two verifiable sterling cuff bracelets were what made me pull the trigger. I should make my money back just on the twisted wire cuff bracelet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread