Outta my comfort zone items

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an unrelenting effort to bring in a regular side gig income, i’ve had to go way outside my regular comfort zone (jewelry, knives etc) and buy whatever looks profitable. This has resulted in some weird stuff, including this porcelain thing, which for $4 i figured I couldn’t go wrong:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530569796.864326.jpg

It’s called “Sevres style” apparently and they seem to sell well. Appreciate any thoughts.

Then a riding helmet (NIB), a child’s book called Emily’s Moo which seems to consistently bring $40 on ebay and some porcelain by a company called Herend that sells really well. I also have half a bin of recycling to put out from “mistakes”. I thought Lenox was valuable lol. Bought several pieces for a buck each. I also bought some Pyrex, but it was the wrong type. Worth it for the learning experience though, I think anyway.

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks really nice. I've been making a small side income for a couple years now (it about covers Christmas and kids' birthday presents and few things for me). I've made a lot of similar mistakes, but find that you have the right attitude concerning learning from the mistakes. Sometimes I will even buy a cheap item just to find out what it is and if it is worth reselling. TNet has been a huge help.

Good luck.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1950s and 60's Pyrex is popular. Condition is everything though, lack of flea bites and dishwasher damage is what is wanted.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herend china sells very well. I had my eyes opened to that name when my grandmother downsized from her large 2 story to a more modest single level home. There were enough place settings to have the whole family over

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herend china sells very well. I had my eyes opened to that name when my grandmother downsized from her large 2 story to a more modest single level home. There were enough place settings to have the whole family over

Yeah i’m dumbfounded by some of the sold prices. This is the mark for anybody else interested. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530631420.314254.jpg

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks really nice. I've been making a small side income for a couple years now (it about covers Christmas and kids' birthday presents and few things for me). I've made a lot of similar mistakes, but find that you have the right attitude concerning learning from the mistakes. Sometimes I will even buy a cheap item just to find out what it is and if it is worth reselling. TNet has been a huge help.

Good luck.

Thanks. I’m trying to hit a consistent $1500-$2000 per month (including precious metals payments from the refiner). The main issue is finding enough stuff to sell. During the week i’m pretty much limited to two local thrifts that I can sneak out to - fortunately they’re both packed and put out new stuff everyday (like a lot) but for jewelry it’s once a week at one snd twice at the other. That means to find stuff everyday I have to expand to things like pottery etc. this was today’s find - it’s Roycroft and should bring $50: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1530634202.558281.jpg

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Thanks. I’m trying to hit a consistent $1500-$2000 per month (including precious metals payments from the refiner). The main issue is finding enough stuff to sell. During the week i’m pretty much limited to two local thrifts that I can sneak out to - fortunately they’re both packed and put out new stuff everyday (like a lot) but for jewelry it’s once a week at one snd twice at the other. That means to find stuff everyday I have to expand to things like pottery etc. this was today’s find - it’s Roycroft and should bring $50: View attachment 1608004

I've been mostly retired since my early 40's (I'm 57 now) and have done various things for extra cash ever since. The resale thing has been my part time gig for the last several years. I live in a town that has a GW, SA, & 2 church based thrifts. I spend between 10-20 hours a week sourcing, listing, and shipping and have been clearing $20-40k annually. That's nowhere near what I made as a plumbing contractor but I don't hate getting up in the morning, my knees and back don't hurt like they used to, & I have lots of free time. I agree that the biggest barrier to making more is finding enough stuff to sell. The wife & I planned to move to a larger city in Florida where there should be more inventory available but an elderly parent with health issues and dementia has put that on hold.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting piece...nice find! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats, that's a nice piece.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice compote. Yes, it is a Sevres style. The gold decoration is referred to as ormolu. This stuff was popular in the 1700's in France and had a revival in the 1800's I believe. No marks of any kind on it?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been mostly retired since my early 40's (I'm 57 now) and have done various things for extra cash ever since. The resale thing has been my part time gig for the last several years. I live in a town that has a GW, SA, & 2 church based thrifts. I spend between 10-20 hours a week sourcing, listing, and shipping and have been clearing $20-40k annually. That's nowhere near what I made as a plumbing contractor but I don't hate getting up in the morning, my knees and back don't hurt like they used to, & I have lots of free time. I agree that the biggest barrier to making more is finding enough stuff to sell. The wife & I planned to move to a larger city in Florida where there should be more inventory available but an elderly parent with health issues and dementia has put that on hold.
You're in the predicament I will probably be heading for. I'm planning on moving to an undeveloped area in the middle of the state. The thought of traveling to find my picks is what worries me. I should have a year or so worth of inventory but then what? Ugh.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
You're in the predicament I will probably be heading for. I'm planning on moving to an undeveloped area in the middle of the state. The thought of traveling to find my picks is what worries me. I should have a year or so worth of inventory but then what? Ugh.

I tried traveling to find inventory. There are 2 larger cities 30 & 60 miles away. I couldn't reliably find enough on each trip to make it worthwhile. Nothing worse than spending 4-8 hours and wasting a butt load of gas without finding anything.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't worry, it won't be undeveloped for long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread