Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a huge priced clock find..

I'm starting to deal in junk again....I mean "Treasures".:laughing7:

We set up this weekend at a fleamarket. I'm starting all over from the very bottom. Below the bottom...Very little working cash! We started out with less than $20 for the day and a load of stuff for the fleamarket. Basically? If we didn't sell anything we didn't have gas to go home.:laughing7: We did ok at the Fleamarket considering the area, but it's what I have to work with for now. You have to practically give stuff away to sell it. It's a great area to buy in once I get rolling again.

On the way home I stopped at a Thrift Store, mostly because I couldn't keep my eyes open to drive. We stayed up all night pricing and loading stuff. While I was there looking around I found an OK Grandfather clock. Not a huge priced Item, but well made. Bottom of the Good clock scale. It needs work, front glass broken, someone hooked the weights up wrong, one broke the cable and fell breaking the glass. The Cabinet is ok, on the cheaper end, solid wood but not cherry, oak, or anything special, just needs cleaned up.

The owner told me $75. If I would have had a pocket full of money I would have bought it. I didn't and had to pass anything we made at the fleamarket has to get us until next weekend, can't count on Ebay to carry everything through. After hanging around and talking to the guy for about a half hour I went to the truck to leave. He followed me out while were still talking. He said..."$40 bucks and lets load it up?" I had to do it at that point!! I love anything mechanical, never had a grandfather clock and have always wanted one, I know how to repair them so...I had to buy it at that price!!!

I had to take all the flea market junk out of the truck to load it. While he was helping he found $10 worth of junk he wanted and now I'm down to $30 on the clock.

Not a huge deal! But in the position that I'm in at the moment it sure helps! I know these clock fell, and aren't worth what they use to be. I'll have $20 to $30 in the parts that I need. And Might get $300 to $400 to the right person at some point, after I clean everything and when I'm done looking at it in the house.

I have the other two weights for it. I just hung the center to see if I could get it running. It kept good time all night and all day. It also has a music box in it. Not sure if that was added, or if part of the mech is missing.. The Movement has "Hermle Black Forrest clocks" stamped in it.

Thrift store clock find 014.JPG Thrift store clock find 015.JPG
Thrift store clock find 016.JPG Thrift store clock find 017.JPG

Last edited:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool clock, someone will buy and treasure it when you decide to sell.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool clock, someone will buy and treasure it when you decide to sell.

Thank you! I like playing around with stuff like this. It's cleaning up really well. I even see that my neighbor has a China cabinet set outside that he's taking to the dump. As soon as I see him out, I'll ask him for the glass. Looks like one of the panels will fit. So, one part down!!:laughing7:

I looked them up..New they were very expensive. The one made of Cherry is priced at over $3600 on one of the sites. This isn't Cherry and resale on these is horrible. Still excited about the find though!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started at the beginning!!
Nevermind the background mess...I should be cleaning instead of playing on the computer...But...This is more fun!!

And after years, I finally figured out how to rotate a pic!!! I'm moving up now!!:tongue3:
clock 001.JPG

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Finding that for $30.00 and fixing it up to possibly get $300 or $400 sounds like a good deal. I did a quick search and the low end of these clocks was a little over $1700.00 . I’m thinking you might be able to get more than the $300/400. Make it a great deal!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
VERY NICE CLOCK Nitric! Great Buy Too!

Kace

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding that for $30.00 and fixing it up to possibly get $300 or $400 sounds like a good deal. I did a quick search and the low end of these clocks was a little over $1700.00 . I’m thinking you might be able to get more than the $300/400. Make it a great deal!

This area where I'm at it is really tough to sell anything. People just don't spend money here. I've been experimenting with different things to try to see what sells locally. It's looking like $1 items. You get anything priced much over 15 to 20 bucks it won't sell. Unless, it's something that is worth 5 times as much.:laughing7:

Once I get going again, this is probably a good area to buy in then take it somewhere else. They closed the local auction house because it couldn't make money!:laughing7: And it was about as low budget as it gets!!!

I think the $1700 your seeing is new, or good wood, like cherry. This one is just poplar or something low budget. The resale isn't good right now on stuff like this unless really special. I'm still thrilled though!! I can't work on it tonight because we are pulling another all nighter to set up tomorrow at a place I've never set at before. We think...We haven't decided yet. hahaha I'm driving on balled tires and it's an hour and a half away. I have new tires, I just haven't gotten them mounted yet. :laughing7: They will be fine! When the little wires start coming out is when it's time to worry!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
This area where I'm at it is really tough to sell anything. People just don't spend money here. I've been experimenting with different things to try to see what sells locally. It's looking like $1 items. You get anything priced much over 15 to 20 bucks it won't sell. Unless, it's something that is worth 5 times as much.:laughing7:

Once I get going again, this is probably a good area to buy in then take it somewhere else. They closed the local auction house because it couldn't make money!:laughing7: And it was about as low budget as it gets!!!

I think the $1700 your seeing is new, or good wood, like cherry. This one is just poplar or something low budget. The resale isn't good right now on stuff like this unless really special. I'm still thrilled though!! I can't work on it tonight because we are pulling another all nighter to set up tomorrow at a place I've never set at before. We think...We haven't decided yet. hahaha I'm driving on balled tires and it's an hour and a half away. I have new tires, I just haven't gotten them mounted yet. :laughing7: They will be fine! When the little wires start coming out is when it's time to worry!

Actually the cherry one and the more articulate ones were $3800+ and yes that was new. Yours has the face of the higher end ones. The design is not quite as fancy on the wood but still has character. Anyway turning $30 into $300-400 is awesome. You be careful driving! Hope you do well!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I see Grandfather clocks here on a fairly regular basis. They generally don't sell at estate sales until half price day. At that point they are priced in the $75-150 range and even then don't sell about half the time.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always wanted a grandfather clock...someday! :occasion14:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty. Dang near as long as I can remember I've always wanted a grandfather clock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread