July 4th 1832 sharpshooter trophy

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice freakin find!! Definitely early American silver from Kirk. I’m thinking it has a value of $250-$500. A real nice piece of presentation silver. Well done!!

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beach-I found a John Hamilton Lee of Carver County TN who was born in 1805 and lived until 1898. Would be worth looking into, and looking for any military or militia connections. Companies of independent sharpshooters can be found in the Civil War and prior.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it could be worth a lot more than that and deserves some further research.

Very possible!! I was being a bit conservative and just going by what I see in shops locally and at Brimfield. It definitely deserves more research. If I found it, it would be a keeper as I collect early American silver.

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
That will draw four figures. Several years ago I sold a small award medallion (1845) given to a gunsmith for his manufacture of pistol, and it fetched $3,200. The firearm collecting community has very deep pockets.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would you look at a different auction house to send it to instead of eBay? I mean that’s what I’m familiar with and I’ve never really found anything worth while to send anywhere else. But maybe those that that have, are other options for selling something like this better?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will draw four figures. Several years ago I sold a small award medallion (1845) given to a gunsmith for his manufacture of pistol, and it fetched $3,200. The firearm collecting community has very deep pockets.

There is a like button, why is there not a holy crap button! $3200! Thats amazing!

I cant even imagine $1,000+ that would be amazing.
Id love to keep it, but honestly I’m not the right collector for it. Maybe when kids go to college and hospital bills are paid off. But those are both years away.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach-I found a John Hamilton Lee of Carver County TN who was born in 1805 and lived until 1898. Would be worth looking into, and looking for any military or militia connections. Companies of independent sharpshooters can be found in the Civil War and prior.

Thanks. Im gonna pass this onto my mom. Shes good at researching and retired. Mainly retired. Hours of not working so no excuses! Haha. She did our ancestry.com back several generations.

And me, I suck at finding anything other than stuff at thrift stores and yard sales.

Thank you very much for your help.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So would you look at a different auction house to send it to instead of eBay? I mean that’s what I’m familiar with and I’ve never really found anything worth while to send anywhere else. But maybe those that that have, are other options for selling something like this better?

I personally would look in a good auction house instead of eBay. Advertised correctly in the right setting would bring the true collectors with deep pockets in. Unfortunately I don’t have deep pockets. Do a bit of research and contact some higher end auction houses near you and take your time. I know sometimes it’s better with a fast nickel vs a slow dime, but this is worth the wait. Keep us posted!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions