Cat’s Galore!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was in northern NJ and went in one of my favorite thrifts. In addition to some absurdly cheap jewelry I bought a bunch of cat figurines for 25 cents each. Folks here are very friendly so I went over them one at a time. An Abraham Palatnik (should do $50); Two Lladros (should do $100 and $50); A very old Royal Copenhagen ($50-$75) and three others I’ve not identified yet. I’ve never bought things like this and I’m surprised at the values. Time to pay attention to figurines. I thought they all lost their value.

The jewelry was a killer 14k chain that’s thin but 36 inches and 17 grams - a laughable $4.00. A pair of 14k and onyx earrings - very little gold because it’s in bands but I’m sure I’ll get $45. Bunch of sterling pieces. I only put up a few photos of jewelry. The cats were the big ticket lol.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232487.990137.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232505.329047.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232516.398964.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232532.313614.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232545.768969.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232768.914474.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544232788.117762.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding! :notworthy:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Lord, you have 5 cats!

I only have 3, but they own my house and are the bosses here!

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord, you have 5 cats!

I only have 3, but they own my house and are the bosses here!

Hahaha. We have one real cat, and yes he is also the boss lol, until it gets cold outside - then he’s a big baby

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow they’re selling like hotcakes lol. I’m taking offers under value but I cannot believe the market for these things! What a waste not buying these little tzochkies over the years. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544290414.217781.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, once I saw in a thrift store a bunch of various small porcelain, glass and ceramic owls made by different makers all on a shelf. I thought maybe someone either pass away or gave up on their owl collection?. I didn't buy them and maybe I should of?

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, once I saw in a thrift store a bunch of various small porcelain, glass and ceramic owls made by different makers all on a shelf. I thought maybe someone either pass away or gave up on their owl collection?. I didn't buy them and maybe I should of?

This was the same thing. The manager told me it was an estate donation. It’s an odd charity shop in an extremely wealthy area. Their primary purpose is to train the people they serve, not make money. It’s funny, ppl think of NJ as a waste dump, but it’s actually one of the absolute richest parts of the country. Avg income in this county is $113k. I’ve been trying to figure out a pattern - find independent charity thrifts in super rich areas that focus on training. But it’s hard lol. In my hometown (manhattan) the deals are one in a million.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the same thing. The manager told me it was an estate donation. It’s an odd charity shop in an extremely wealthy area. Their primary purpose is to train the people they serve, not make money. It’s funny, ppl think of NJ as a waste dump, but it’s actually one of the absolute richest parts of the country. Avg income in this county is $113k. I’ve been trying to figure out a pattern - find independent charity thrifts in super rich areas that focus on training. But it’s hard lol. In my hometown (manhattan) the deals are one in a million.
Interesting. It's funny how things come along in the 2nd hand retail market. I really don't have a system other than a high frequency of searching the flea markets, antique malls and all the thift stores in close proximity, which I have 5 within 15 miles from home. Also part of my job involves a good amount of windshield time and it doesn't inhibit my work much at all to stop in a small town and hit all the possible places one might find the deal of the century.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. It's funny how things come along in the 2nd hand retail market. I really don't have a system other than a high frequency of searching the flea markets, antique malls and all the thift stores in close proximity, which I have 5 within 15 miles from home. Also part of my job involves a good amount of windshield time and it doesn't inhibit my work much at all to stop in a small town and hit all the possible places one might find the deal of the century.

My bread and butter daily grind is law. I practice w a midsized firm and appear in “interesting” areas once or twice a month for mediations, motions etc. I have a good knowledge of the thrifts in those areas. So I stop in whenever I’m here or there. The NJ and CT shops are insanely naive and have the best deals.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, missed out on the Palatnik! I would have gotten that for a christmas gift!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread