Torch collection, fire arm rolled of the box!!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been buying stuff on Facebook Marketplace. I found a collection of a hundred old blow torches. Some are collectable and will go on eBay. Most will go in my little antique store cheap. This is only a fraction of what's now in my garage. I will fire up one for fun!! This cool old firearm piece rolled out of a box, hopefully it will help me pay for the razor collection and the oil can collection they want to sell me!!! Any information on it would be great!!! IMG_20201010_150102193_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_150120539_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_150339696_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_150418609_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_084757714_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_084810618_MP.jpg IMG_20201010_084810618_MP.jpg

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
never heard of the Co. but a neat old lever action

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of the Co. but a neat old lever action

That's not any lever action, looks like a shotgun. Digging, you will not get much for it, don't plan on it covering much costs on other items. Great torch collection!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unexpected find!

Forehand & Wadsworth was founded in Worcester, Massachusetts in 1871 and changed name to Forehand Arms in 1890 when Henry Wadsworth sold his share of the business to Sullivan Forehand. The company operated until 1902 when it was bought by Hopkins & Allen, but continued to produce Forehand guns for several years thereafter.

The 4th February 1896 patent referred to relates to an improved cartridge ejecting mechanism for breakdown guns.

Forehand.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been buying stuff on Facebook Marketplace. I found a collection of a hundred old blow torches. Some are collectable and will go on eBay. Most will go in my little antique store cheap. This is only a fraction of what's now in my garage. I will fire up one for fun!! This cool old firearm piece rolled out of a box, hopefully it will help me pay for the razor collection and the oil can collection they want to sell me!!! Any information on it would be great!!! View attachment 1870408 View attachment 1870409 View attachment 1870410 View attachment 1870411 View attachment 1870412 View attachment 1870413 View attachment 1870413
Boy! imagine the time to acquire that many! What's the name on the red one? It falls under the just when you thought you've seen em all category.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gunsil, I have nothing to lose so I will start it low on eBay and see what happens.
I appreciate the information again Red-Coat, that will help the listing. Unexpected finds are my favorite!!!
Boogieman the torch says unique mfg co. It is made by burnz. You should see his razor collection, actually here it is. I am waiting for them to give me a price. Screenshot_20201011-151053.png Screenshot_20201011-151110.png

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember, most old razors are not worth much. Plain black handles, German made, wear, rust, chips all detract value. Famous American companies, near mint condition with proper box with bone, pearl, silver, fancy celluloid handles and ones with very wide blades and ones with figural handles command the most money. Early Sheffield ones do well but I am not seeing any really early ones in your photo. Some German ones will bring good money if near mint and fancy celluloid or figural. I can't enlarge the photos, but most of what I see are pretty much "plain janes"

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember, most old razors are not worth much. Plain black handles, German made, wear, rust, chips all detract value. Famous American companies, near mint condition with proper box with bone, pearl, silver, fancy celluloid handles and ones with very wide blades and ones with figural handles command the most money. Early Sheffield ones do well but I am not seeing any really early ones in your photo. Some German ones will bring good money if near mint and fancy celluloid or figural. I can't enlarge the photos, but most of what I see are pretty much "plain janes"

Thank you very much for your help gunsil, I appreciate it. I am waiting for the daughters to come up with a price, although I should offer them something before they do. What would you offer? I do like to gamble on these sort of things.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say what I'd offer because I can't see the razors closely enough. I buy and sell them, have sold a few for a couple hundred each. They were mint Case (company) fancy celluloid handled razors with fancy etched blades in mint condition in proper original boxes. I also have a pile of plain black or other solid color ones, mostly German, with worn, rusty, or chipped blades that I can't get five bucks each for. I got the lousy ones buying lots just to get one or two good ones from the lot. Look closely at the razors if you can, and take a few notes. Then go look up "antique straight razor" on ebay and go to "sold items" on the left toolbar and you will see what the present market is doing. You will get a fair education on values of styles, brands, and conditions by studying "sold items". I'd love to stop by your "little antique shop", too bad you're so far off.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a blow torch or two here and there on the hunt, but that's clearly a blow torch mother load. Gotta be a few collectors out there that could shed some light on what's good and what's average.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gunsil, from what I can see you are probably right. Hopefully there will be a few good ones in there. I am a 3 hour drive away so I have to go by the pictures also. I can see what you mean by looking for the wide blades!! We will see what happens. They would look nice in the shop!! If your ever out this way stop by, it would be a pleasure to meet you!
Hi Tamrock, that picture was only a 4th of the torches. I ended up with over 100!! I just put 20 dollars on the brass ones and 15 on the plain ones. My garage is full!! My Grandfather made lamps for all us Grandkids out of torches like these. They are a treasure for sure. Maybe I will make a few!! There seems to be only a few makers and I'll research unique ones. I've got a few on eBay now. It is so funny how many of the tourists ask if they are lamps for down in the mines!

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed not many folks today have probably not seen those old touches. Down in Cortez there's a good sized indoor antique mall and one vendor had a bin full of these Tommy stick holders. They looked authentic, but you could tell they were recently forged. I was thinking some local blacksmith was maybe knocking them out and selling them as a tourist novelty for like 12 or so bucks a pop.

Attachments

• 0f617647d79010b7059a96f6bd46f9dd.jpg
    0f617647d79010b7059a96f6bd46f9dd.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those would sell very well up here. There is a local guy that makes these knives out of railroad spikes. I am getting a bunch to sell for him. They sure turn out cool. Here is a picture of a simular one. Screenshot_20201014-073020.png

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those knives before somewhere in a flea market or antique shop. Next time I'm down in Cortez I'll hit the lady that runs the place to see if she can let me know of the source of those old time mining candle sticks. If you ever in Cortez its a big place with lots of everything old. Big room in the back full of furniture. I've made some scores there over the years. Mostly vintage jewelry and I still have two Swedish made alloy silver christening cups I found amongst a bunch of old silverplate down there. There's thousands of items there from hand crafted fur and skull totem staffs to piles of old spoons and forks to sort through along with old cameras and I think I've seen antique firearms in there at times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting