Anyone near Lewiston Idaho, or know where i should go

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Lewiston Idaho, and there are some rivers here but not much happened here in the past unfortunately. There was a battle with the Indians and white men in the area but not allowed to hunt there. If anyone has some ideas as to where to go id appreciate it. I don't mind hunting coins but would love to go relic hunting

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just PM'ed you.. What are you swinging FmrMarine ? Why not hunt those rivers ? Go out a little bit from your town.. AsK permission on the ground of where the battle took place??

OP
OP
FmrMarine

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a Teknetics delta 4000. Nothing fancy but got it used for a good price so decided to get it. There's a sign at the battle ground that says no metal detectors, so i didn't even bother to ask

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not in Lewiston, but I've hunted there a few times. It's actually one of the older cities in Idaho and has a good bit of history. I think, if you do a little research, you'll be able to find more than you think. I've always gotten a little silver when I hunted there, but only hunted private yards. Try some door knocking. Clarkston, WA is just across the river and it's about the same age, also. My recommendation would be to get some Sanborn insurance maps and start from there. The oldest part of town is down by the port where the downtown area is now. There used to be some residential homes in that area, also. The city grew south, southeast from there. Good luck. I get up that way every now and then so the next time I'm up there I'll try to let you know the dates and maybe we can find a spot or two to try.

OP
OP
FmrMarine

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mason thanks for the info. What form of silver were you finding? Old coins? I did do some more research and found out there was an old air force station about an hour from here so that might be a good place to go too. Yeah let me know the dates you are in Lewiston, would love to meet up with ya and do some serious detecting :-)

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing super old, but I found some Mercs from the 1920s there and a Barber dime from 1911. I think it goes back to the 1870s, so there should be some older stuff around. Just gotta get in the yards to get it out. The area around Lewis and Clark College should be good.

OP
OP
FmrMarine

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh nice, that's much better than anything I've found. Usually i find trash. What area of Lewiston were you finding these?

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a wedding up there in June and found a couple of Mercs in some yards around Lewis and Clark college. Also found a 1919 Wheat cent. The old gun club out by the airport was (it's since been shut down) the oldest, continuous use, gun club in the country. Of course there'll be a lot of shotgun shell bases and lead shot out there, but I've always wanted to detect around the club house. You might give that a try. I'll probably come up that way next spring if you're interested in trying to get together. I'm planning a RV/detecting trip from here in the SW, over into western Wyoming, up through Montana and then back down through your area. I'll probably be on the road for a month....maybe a little longer. I'm retired Air Force so I don't have much to do except what I decide on that morning.

OP
OP
FmrMarine

FmrMarine

Aug 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i would be interested, just get a hold of me. I was in the Marines myself and would love to find some civil war stuff but nothing like that around here. That's cool you found those mercs and wheat cent. I haven't gone out more than a dozen times but love the hobby and now that i got a new, better detector I'll be going out much more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread