Jessie James Hunt

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd be interested in the rock carving aspect.

I know of a cave site on a sandstone bluff that has a few strange rock carvings I always assumed were bored kids scratchings from the past. The local lore says that the James Gang would hide out in the cave with their horses when passing through the area. At some point in the 40's the cave collapsed and only the entrance is accessable. Somewhere in my archives I've photos of all the area including the various scratchings and carvings, some of which are very old and dated with year.

Anyway one particular weathered carving away from the cave that looks like a wavy serpent with some drill mark type marks next to it that may or may not be related. I always felt something was different about this carving, like maybe it's not a serpent but a map of a stream or river. Who knows.

This thread has raised my interest again.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Betty Duke he died in 1943 and lived in Blevins Texas

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats weird is I had a renter that said he was kin to J James when I got interested in this I called him up and ask him how he figure he was kin. He said he was told this all his life so found a pic of Jesse mom and it look just like his G Grandmother plus his last name was Cortney and thats what name Jesse used after he fake his death

Wally Taylor

Jan 3, 2017
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, White's Bullseye II Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to the Jesse James Museum when I was a kid. There was a wax figure of an old man, sitting at a table, and there was a sign describing the legend tahat Jesse actually live well into the 1900's. It left quite an impression on a little kid. I thought it was cool that my favorite outlaw may have actually died not long before I was born.
I don't know much about that legend, but my Dad told me that he had a lot of fans because the Union Army had done a lot of bad things to the properties of Jesse's family and friends, and that's what made him into an outlaw. He was seeking payback for the ruthless things that were allegedly done to his friends and family. It put a new thought into my little brain that outlaws may have had reasons for becoming society's worst behaving people. The funny thing is, I still have a little brain, and prove it almost daily!

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they would do a DNA on the grave in Blevins that way we would all know

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep hunting and do not become discouraged !

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Whats weird is I had a renter that said he was kin to J James when I got interested in this I called him up and ask him how he figure he was kin. He said he was told this all his life so found a pic of Jesse mom and it look just like his G Grandmother plus his last name was Cortney and thats what name Jesse used after he fake his death

The alias name he used was J. Frank Dalton

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish they would do a DNA on the grave in Blevins that way we would all know

They did and it was proven Not to Be Jesse Woodson James. It's was done by DNA and Photo Markers of JWJ Face and Photos of Ms Duke's Relative.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with Betty before she past and I talked with her son Danny and never heard that

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked with Betty before she past and I talked with her son Danny and never heard that

I don't doubt you at all that you didn't hear that from them. They did Really want to believe their Grandfather, who wouldn't? When you are told something your whole life from family you Don't want to believe anything different and Honestly during Ms. Dukes prime of life who would of thought that science would ever advance like it has to prove one way or another? I wondered myself if JWJ,Brother Frank, Wife Zee and Mother Zerelda could have come up with a body somehow, concocted the story and had it buried at the Kearney Cemetery and Due to Grave Robbers and the tombstone getting chipped for 'souvenirs' had it exhumed and moved to the family farm for protection and reinterred to take the heat off and let him live a private life with his wife and young children. It's hard to fathom that JWJ could get shot in the back of the head in His Own Home by that idiot Bob Ford. You would want to think for such a famous Outlaw it would be a more 'Glamorous or Exciting' way to go for someone with his notoriety. I live pretty close to there and was at the exhumation for ID at the James Family Property that everyone claiming to be a descendant agreed to do. There have been a lot of folks, including Ms Duke who were not happy when the results came back. Who can blame her? I grew up where Cole Younger lived after being pardoned, he is buried in the town cemetery. His home was taken apart board by board and numbered to be reconstructed somewhere else in the city limits due to development of a Sub-Division! Stupid! But the New Mayor and New City Council Who Were Not From There even Renamed the Annual Cole Younger Days Festival saying it wasn't right to Celebrate an Outlaw! They also cancelled the Rodeo, Demolition Derby and Indian Pow-Wow Reunion due to it being too 'Redneck' in their minds. Town Natives Were Not Happy! Just Like A Lot Of People Who Think They Can Re-Write History. It Happened, Like It Or Not! I'm sorry that it didn't turn out for the Duke Family like they were positive it would. I'm Sure That Hurt Them Especially As Public As She Had Been.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Several men shot Jesse W. James but none of them killed him. He died at 103 years old in Granbury, Texas in 1951.

Jesse & Frank James - William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson

~Texas Jay

That's a few people's thoughts....It's not a Fact.

It's not that hard to give folks options to research themselves instead of stating that semi-controversial subject as fact. Just give them the top 4 contenders...

Jesse Woodson James of Kearney, MO

James L. Courtney of Blevins, TX

Jere Miah Mason James of the Witchita, KS area

J.Frank Dalton/Frank Dalton/John Dalton of Texas

TJ...I'm not trying to be rude, but just because you think Dalton was Jesse W. James...Outlaw, does not make it factual.

Kace

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they would do a DNA on the grave in Blevins . We will probable never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions