TNet California Meet-up

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Would there be an interest in having a TNet meet-up in California? I would be open to SoCal or NorCal, depending on majority of users in each location. I'm thinking something like an informal dinner to get face-to-face and meet hunters in our area. What do you guys think? Does this overlap too much with local groups or would there be any interest?

I hope to hear from you guys!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
New to the hobby. But I'm interested. Socal.

I highly doubt you'll get persons to show up from disparate parts of CA "just to socialize and have coffee". You'd need to have some sort of inducing hunt spot. Ie.: like an outing where persons would actually be able to hunt. Not just "grab lunch". A lunch/coffee social might work for persons in a single city or county (ie: a geographic specific locale club). But not for "statewide".

And as for a statewide forum get-together hunt, THAT'S where the "devil is in the details". Because any such spot that can support 50+ hunters who might show up for such a thing, is going to have an inherent list of needs:

a) you'd want to have a spot with potential for goodies to be found. And by "goodies", I mean .... old coins. Not just the dry sand at the beach somewhere for clad (how boring would that be?). So ... I mean, doh, does anyone have a virgin ghost town or stage stop that they're willing to open up to total strangers to come pillage? Not likely, eh?

b) And let's just say someone here on the forum DID have a producing old scout camp, or ghost town, or old-town urban demolition park scrape going on, or .... any such spot that's conducive/attractive enough to be fun for persons to travel and hunt. Then seriously now, is the average private property owner going to agree to open it up for person to descend on his land like that? Who's going to get the insurance? Who's going to get the porta-potties rented? Who's going to organize it? etc.....

c) or let's say it's a public spot, with no specific forbiddance of metal detecting (no laws, etc...). Then the devil is in the details again: So too did a bunch of us on the Kinzli forum (a CA specific forum I suggest you join) suggest the very same thing: Ie.: "wouldn't it be great to have a big forum hunt for all of us to get together in-person?". So about 30 of us agreed to descend on a certain park in San Francisco. A portion of the park known for giving up deep turf silver. And big enough to spread out. And no specific prohibitions or rules or laws. Sounds great, right? NOT! Guess what happened when "30 guys with geiger-counters showed up on a single field?". Sure as sh*t, passerbys slowed to gawk at the scene. And asked all sorts of questions: "Gee is this a club?" and "what are you guys looking for?" and "gee, are you allowed to do this?" (you know, the mental connotations that you might harm earthworms or grass, blah blah blah). So sure as heck, some bureaucrat came down to break up our fun. See how that works? 1 or 2 hunters are totally ignored. But put 30 persons in an area doing the same thing, and some nosy-parker is sure to start asking questions, gripe, etc....

But sure: if someone has a private land place, giving up oldies, and has no intention working it themselves with their personal friends (how likely is that?), they're welcome to have a "come one come all" invite.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread