image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have a great dog, one that earns his keep. Now if you can only teach him the scent of gold at 8 inched deep.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered if dogs could be trained to find silver caches in houses lol. My dogs sense of smell doesn't seem to be good enough but I bet they can be trained. Gold would be impossible because it is a noble metal and doesn't oxidize.

OP
OP
Jenks Oklahoma

Jenks Oklahoma

Oct 3, 2015
Jenks Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He would be a great dog for hunting by scent, he actually just showed up at my boyfriends shop and adopted us. He is super smart and does every and any commend. It looks like pervious owners abused him with his ears. They are mangled and he has lost hearing on one side and limited on the other side. The md must have a pitch he can clearly hear because it gets him so excited. Saying all this... He follows us and everything the ball, sticks etc by smell. We can hide anything and he runs right to it.

Hmmm how to train hi to next level now?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought a golden retriever but gave him away after a year because he never was able to bring me gold.

Seriously, fantastic hunting partner! The trouble is him flinging the target way away from you! Great pictures.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awe you puppy looks so happy to be out there helping you :)

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Buddy" sounds like a keeper for sure.

I think a lot of folks significantly underestimate the power and sensitivity of a dog's sense of smell. They have something called a Jacobson's Organ that responds to scents comprised of larger molecules that often have no detectable odor. In fact, I read once that when a bloodhound fails to find the person they are looking for, it is often because a person smells different, on different parts of their body (arm vs. leg, for example). There is even evidence that some dogs can sniff-out a Ziplock bag of lunchmeat at the bottom of a lake. (I am not making this up!)

As for eyesight: Dogs are bi-chromatic, seeing blue and yellow best. (Buy toys that are blue and/or yellow!) Their long vision is weak, but vision up close is superb. Motion detection is also excellent. But of course, it all comes at the "price" of not being tri-chromatic, as we humans are.

As for sound, I know my dachshund can hear just about anything. "Harley" is my 4th dachshund, but he is totally different from all the others. He doesn't like to dig!!
He's pretty much an "Alpha-Dog"! If I took him out metal detecting, he would get bored very quickly and definitely go get into trouble somewhere. Either that, or when the metal detector made a noise, he would try to play-bite the coil, or something. He's a weird dog, for sure.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Buddy looks like a good boy! I love dogs and it looks like you have a great one!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only does Buddy dig your holes, I bet he keep's you safe while out hunting :thumbsup:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a run-in with a Black Bear this weekend and I thanked my dogs as they ran it off...I won't go in the woods without them, now if I can get them to dig my holes! That's awesome!

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool dog..good on you for the rescue.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you could only teach him to fill his holes back in :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking dog. I was just in Jenks on Saturday for the Aquarium run. Wish I could have brought my detector for a little hunt time too!

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing man! Dogs are real treasures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions