Can anyone ID this belt plate I found today? **Update 1850 militia panel plate**

***Got this email from 1 expert, two more are still reviewing it. Not nearly as much as we'd all hoped, but can't complain ;D...almost enough to by my new CZ3D for more relic hunting!:
Hi Aaron,
This is an 1850's era Militia style plate known as a Panel Plate,
Very Nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Value 300.00 to $500.00,
Here is a Picture of one I have on an original belt.
Thanks Stan Hughes

Got out hunting with Merf at an 1850's house. We asked the owner pretty late in the day after field hunting, so we didn't have much time. Found this belt plate about 6" down right where the front porch would have been. We have found a lot of civil war history in the area (mainly eagle buttons) can any ID this? And yes, I did gouge it >:(

I see no marks or writing on it.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• DSCN2520.JPG
    DSCN2520.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 6,912
  • DSCN2519.JPG
    DSCN2519.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 6,481
Upvote 4

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the great debate
is it a TEX plate or common militia ?
what say kids?

OP
OP
gates21

gates21

EDDE found this info for me, the plate was found on Old State Rd.

Rock Island was also an POW camp During the Civil War. After the Battles around Chatanooga in 1863 Rock Island received a huge influx of Confederate POW's . Several Texas Regiments were in those battles.Also the POW camp in Chicago,Old State road was a major route to Chicago from the Mississippi river the plot thickens

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Nice $, and very nice that you made the banner! Don't sell too quick...enjoy first.

Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best finds of a lifetime!!!
Congrats and continue to locate many other relics in the same realm.
Rebel Man

Holy Toledo!!! Awesome!!! Outstanding!! Amazing!!! Uhh Killer!! Etc Etc Etc :thumbsup:

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I have done some research on this and here is my opinion FWIW, I think this guy was in the U.S. Army or Texas militia (Indian or Mexican war fighter) in Texas before the civil war and when the war started he resigned and kept most of his uniform and marched off to war as a Texas Conf soldier. The point is that the plate was made before the civil war as a U.S. Army or Texas Militia plate and not during the war as a Texas plate. Think about this.........how many of you have found buttons from three different time periods in one area? I have seen guys find 1796 cast pewter buttons, 1812 buttons, Florida militia buttons and civil war marine buttons all at the same site? They went to war with whatever they had for uniforms regardless of how old it was.

So we have a militia plate made in Texas before the civil war and not made during the civil war? Does that make it a Texas conf plate?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I found that I wouldn't dare sell it, but I didn't find it so I have no say , just something we long for and rarely find , damn that star stands out one helluva find. Hold it tight like you where getting a divorce from your wife. [expression of speech]But on a serious note your one lucky fella,vanzutphen

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread