Take Me Home Green River...

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
...Whiskey :wink:. They finally cut the tobacco a few days ago so I took advantage of it and got a quick hunt in. Things have been pretty busy lately so I've been trying hard just to get at least half an hour of md'ing time in (hopefully have some quality time this week). Anyway, I ended up showing my "somewhat significant other" how to use the BH1100 in a small section of the field closest to the road. I hit a solid .50 signal on thy hunter of bounty and dug. And dug, and dug, and dug - at about eight inches I saw the edge of what I thought was a large cent. When I pulled it out I could tell that it wasn't - what I had was this very cool token. It's about the size of a half dollar and all it needed was a little hand wash in some warm water. I have no idea what it's made of - it has a brassy look to it but aside from that I can't tell. The front reads, "It's Lucky to Drink GREEN RIVER Whiskey" w/ a horseshoe, wishbone and four-leaf clover on it. The back reads, "GREEN RIVER Whiskey - the whiskey without regrets" w/ an image of a tall man in a tophat standing next to a horse. Almost looks like it could be Lincoln (?). Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for stopping by and keep on swingin'... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Green River Obverse (Small).jpg
    Green River Obverse (Small).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 774
  • Green River Reverse (Small).jpg
    Green River Reverse (Small).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find DD! Heck, a 30 dollar whiskey token is a GOOD find in my book :thumbsup: It has great detail still left on it too. Any ideas about the age? Looks maybe early 20th century??

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
All a sudden my mouth is mighty dry. Think a visit to the liquer cabinet is in order.

Edit: Ahh, much better. Gotta love a good ol' Whiskey 'n Coke ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
I have a token just like that. The man on the token is an old black man not Lincoln. Hope that helped.

KFB

Wilt Chamberlain? :wink:

LMAO!!! ;D
Lincoln or Wilt it's a very cool token DD. :thumbsup: Those old tokens always fool me thinking it's a coin. :tongue3:
Here's a token link you may want to check out:
http://tokencatalog.com/index.php
Congrats,
Doug

K

Kentucky Kache

Somebody posted one just like that some time back. It might have been BB, I can't remember. Very nice find.

OP
OP
DD-777

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
KFB - thanks for the info bud. This is what the original design looked like...

IN 1885 JOHN McCULLOCH BEGAN DISTILLING HIS FAMOUS MOUNTAIN DEW AND GREEN RIVER WHISKEY, HIS LEGENDARY SPIRITS HAVE REMAINED THE MOST HIGHLY AWARDED AND SOUGHT AFTER IN THE WORLD.

Attachments

• index.170 (Small).jpg
    index.170 (Small).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 671

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
Love the token! The superstitious side of me would take it along on the next hunt, there's triple the normal amount of luck in that disc, ya know. Maybe a shot before you dig the next hole would kick in the right kind of mojo.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Cool Token. Great shape too. :icon_sunny:

My brothers and I use to go down to my uncle's tobacco farm in Maryland when I was a teenager and help them pick the tobacco. That was hard work! Always had to watch out for those ticks and black widow spiders down there.

Bob

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
hit one of those last year.. mine is still green....... for the 30 bucks.. i think imma sell mine LOL .. that's a dinner out with the wife :D Great digs man!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a KENTUCKY find. ;D

Well done.