Backyard privy breathes new life into a Colt :)

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
:thumbsup: A handgun that is.The Hubby and I started to dig up what I suspected was the location of an old outhouse. Through out the years we would find alot of shards on top of the soil wich is in his garden. He was eager to start as well as I was. We believe that this may be a double outhouse. The yards on our street are all connected divided by fences. Most homes on the block are double homes. So yesturday we provided great entertainment for our neighbors..LOL The walls of the privy in the ground are made of wood .. We came in contact with the front,the back,and the one side on our property, the privy continues under the fence into the neighbors yard. About 3ft down we hit water,so we are digging in mud,clay,and at some spots it smells and looks like tar. A few hours into it the hubby yells out with excitement that he found a gun, and he thinks its real.. It was with the bullets still in there. We also found a couple local blop top soda bottles,kazoo,copper spoons, and another handgun that looks like an old mussel loader. We aren't done digging yet so I posted a few of the pics I took. I was wondering if anyone may no of whom we should go to get it restored or cleaned and what year the gun may be. It looks like a 38 or a 32.

Attachments

• JR and Brooke.jpg
    JR and Brooke.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,611
  • !!!NUIO.jpg
    !!!NUIO.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,061
  • !!!NUI.jpg
    !!!NUI.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,069
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
more

Attachments

• !!!333.jpg
    !!!333.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • !!!222.jpg
    !!!222.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • !!!111.jpg
    !!!111.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,040

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Great finds, privy digging is exciting because you never know what people may have dropped in there and not wanted to fetch out.

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks!

Attachments

• The Hubby.jpg
    The Hubby.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,552
  • Photo0227.jpg
    Photo0227.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,575
  • HoleWhenWeStartedToDig.jpg
    HoleWhenWeStartedToDig.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,583

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I am thinking of trying that myself at an 1881 farm house...Any hints and ideas of just how to go about it, other than just plain ole digging??? Jgas

Nu2Poo

Oct 4, 2007
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whites Xlt w/ Bullseye pinpointer
Hey there fellow privy pirate. I would have to dig that out too. Congrats on the finds so far. Use a probe and check the whole back property line. Odds are there are more privies back there. The woodies, like the one you found, are usually the oldest ones but not always. When we dig and encounter the water situation like you did, we start digging down in one corner like about 12 to 20 inches. As it fills with water, we use a jug or similar thing to bail the water into a 5 gallon bucket the pull the bucket out and dump it. Then you can lower the pit as you go. Keep proceeding like this as this will allow you to keep most of your pit somewhat dry as the water will always fill the low spot in your pit. As the water fills, empty it out.
You can check out our digging adventures at www.privydigger.com
Also, when your yard is complete, start asking neighbors to do the same in their yards. You can do it for free like we do and promise to split the finds evenly with the homeowner.
If you have any question feel free to email although it sounds like you guys know what you are doing.

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
I don't think its that deep yet compared to other peoples digs in PA . We decided to dig that spot because of all the shards laying on the surface. Thanks Nu2poo for the tips and your website!

Here are the blob tops and inks cleaned up a bit.

Attachments

• Photo0241.jpg
    Photo0241.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,427
  • Photo0240.jpg
    Photo0240.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,443
OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
jgas said:
I am thinking of trying that myself at an 1881 farm house...Any hints and ideas of just how to go about it, other than just plain ole digging??? Jgas
Get permission of course first. Check the area for shards(glass,china pieces ect..) on the surface,use a probe,make sure you don't do it alone, for more than one reason!

OP
OP
cuddles17981

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Um, anyone know what this is?
Their is a whole at the tip where liquid pours thru.. Type of funnel?

Attachments

• Photo0242.jpg
    Photo0242.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,413
  • Photo0243.jpg
    Photo0243.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,403

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say the gun is real, my dad dug one out of a old privy pit yrs ago (dillinger). Still loaded except for one round missing. Cool finds I say If you want more holes to dig everyone welcomed to his house. WTG

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Pistol definitely looks real, and I don't think it's so far gone that it can't be significantly cleaned up / restored.

Some gun folks here will prob. chime in. My uneducated guess is .32 cal.

Cool bottles, what did Leidich (have to go back and check the spelling) make?

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
cool find...just be very carefull...water in the bottom being sloshed around while you work will washout and undermine the sides causing large areas of dirt on the sides to fall into the hole....been plumbing for almost 30 years now and cant tell you how many times just a few inches of water in the bottom of the hole caused the sides to give out...just because your not that deep means nothing...shore that hole up and dont leave the little one go in there...it doesn't take much dirt to cover and trap you....twice i was in holes no deeper than 3 1/2' and the side gave out trapping me up to my chest with my hands pinned to the shovel....not a lot of dirt but enough so i had to be dug out...thank God i wasn't bent over or on my knees....outcome would have been much different...find the good stuff but be carefull....there's nothing in that hole that is worth the life of you or your loved ones...HH

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The best way to dig a privy without disturbing the property is to place two large tarps on the ground right next to your site. Then neatly remove the sod in one foot squares, and place on one of the tarps. As you dig and progress downward place all of the diggins onto the other tarp. When you finish just fill in the hole, level it off and replace the sod. You leave the area just as you found it, real neat, and can be a big selling point in gaining permission. It is just like digging a plug and placing the soil on a ground cloth when metal detecting, only on a much larger scale. I have seen some pretty deep privys dug, and when it is all over you can't tell that you were ever there. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread