1735 KG II Half Penny

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all...

I was working in a field on a farm that dated back to the mid 1800's...

I believe the date says... 1735... I can see a VI to the right of the trident...

I have only run some water over it... Should I clean it further... ??

Paul

Attachments

• 1735_2.jpg
    1735_2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 408
  • 1735_1.jpg
    1735_1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 1735.jpg
    1735.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 405
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: British Coin ID Help

It says Ni not VI. Specifically "Britan" on the left and "Nia" on the right. It's a King George II British halfpenny.
Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My buddy Eric found a 1735 KG II earlier this year also. Gotta love the large colonial coppers. :icon_sunny:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
It says Ni ant VI. Specifically Britan on the left and Nia on the right. It's a King George II British halfpenny.
Nice find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My buddy Eric found a 1735 KG II earlier this year also. Gotta love the large colonial coppers. :icon_sunny:

good id

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That should clean up nice in peroxide. CONGRATULATIONS! Hogge :thumbsup:

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Nice find! I love the large coppers!

I'm fairly new at cleaning the old coppers but: I'd give it one light treatment of H2O2 to clean it up a touch but not sure if I'd do much more than that as it looks like at least some of the detail are in the verdigris. (I've lost detail in some I've tried that way.) Depending on how it looks like it's reacting and what's showing up or disappearing at that point I might do more or stop, and then soak it in distilled water to stop the chemical reactions and then treat it with wax or Blue Ribbon or whatever. (I'd listen to Don, et al for cleaning recommendations.)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would put that one in the peroxide. I agree that the verdigris is emphasizing some of the detail and you might not be able to see much at all after peroxide with this one. Looks a bit too corroded to try in my opinion. I would leave it as is.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Evolution said:
It says Ni ant VI. Specifically Britan on the left and Nia on the right. It's a King George II British halfpenny.

good id

You should know better! It's a Farthing. :D

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG I love Colonial Coppa

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Evolution said:

good id

You should know better! It's a Farthing. :D

Only had a quick look, you should know I get things wrong all the time. Its only funny if I get it right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread