I wouldnt want to get hit by one of these!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't want to get hit by one of these!

Hi TreasureHunters all,

It was almost time for the wife to start supper. That was my que to get out of the house for a 1/2 hr or so. There is a 50's church for sale down the street in my residential neighborhood and I wanted to hit it as it rained yesterday--pretty good all day. I wanted to see what the rain would do to improve my signals.

The church
100_0630.jpg

I have hunted this church several times before and really didn't expect much. But, my first coin was a 1918 Wheatie, then I found a number of memorial cents and two clad dimes. Where is this stuff coming from. The soil is really wet down to 7 inches or so I guess that improves the signals. Then I found a 1950 D wheat cent... This is cool!

After a few more cents, I got a different hit. It was not too strong but persistant at +74 VDI, so I decided to dig. It turned out to be a musket ball--at a church in my neighborhood? Well, I guess I should have expected it as my whole street was a woods at one time. So, maybe it was from a deer hunter. Anyway, the musket-ball has that nice whitish-yellow patina that only old lead gets. I have found a mini-ball before at a soccer field but this is much bigger--dime sized. This is definately a musket-ball. Man I would not want to get hit by one of these things--thinking civil war period.

As my 1/2 hr eased to 3/4 of an hr, I thought I better head home and fortunately, I was there just in time--supper was just ready. Good planning, huh! Yup, wife and I have good system: she cooks, I eat!

Wife thought the musket ball was heavy, too.

SKD

Wheatie 1918
100_0661.jpg

Wheatie 1950 D
100_0662.jpg

Musket Ball from Church field
100_0663.jpg

100_0664.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I wouldn't want to get hit by one of these!

daytondigger said:
You said it was a 50's church, did you mean 1850's? ;D

No Steve it is a 1950s church.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread