131 Memorials in the same hole!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
My brother and I went hunting this morning. nothing much to write home about was found except for the 131 Memorial pennies he found in the same hole! they just kept coming and coming! finally we got sick of digging them and stopped but there must be 50 more still there! makes me wonder how that many pennies ended up at that spot. they weren't all stacked nice and neat like they were in rolls, it was more like a pocket spill. anyway, that was the find of the day besides a few wheat's.

Upvote 0

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hp that is the most I have ever heard of. Show me a pic...please

SKD

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
SoreKneesDayton said:
hp that is the most I have ever heard of. Show me a pic...please

SKD

since i didnt find them i will have to ask him to take a picture. it was crazy! :P they just kept coming! now why couldnt they have been silver dimes?!

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Earthworks said:
Cool, any dates?

i didnt ask, they were all pretty new, most were corroded zinc pennies. i dont think they were there for very long. maybe a year or two. i still cant figure how the hell they got there. it was a hell of a lot of pennies to carry around in your pocket! :P

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW :o That's a lot of Lincolns!

Here's my guess..some kid intentionally buried them there. A friend of mine let me check his yard before he moved some years ago..there was a sidewalk that went out from the back patio and ended at a certain point in the yard. At the end of the sidewalk my detector was going crazy. I had a lot of patience that day because I dug close to 400 Lincoln Memorials in the grass at the end of the sidewalk. Like you said they just kept coming. My friend said their daughters used to always play there, but he didn't know about the pennies. His daughters were so young they didn't even remember doing it, but they were pretty sure it was something they might have done. I ended up putting them all in a mason jar (it was pretty full) and giving it to him later to show them as evidence of their mischief ;D.

Last year at a private yard up the street from me, I found about 100 pennies in the same hole (well, it ended up being about a 3-foot wide area) in a shady area between 2 houses. A lone coin from Israel was also in the mix :thumbsup:. Also last year I found about 25 wheats in someone's back yard in the same place..my guess is that both of these incidences were done by kids just looking for things to bury in the dirt.

Nat

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Wow Keith, that is alot of pennies! I found about 28 at one time on the beach and I thought that was crazy. If I had to spend that much effort digging them out of the ground I would have left some too!

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 84 memorials in an area about one and a half feet square earlier this year on the FSU campus. They were just covered with dirt so they hadn't been there for a very long time. Had to be a spill of some kind.
Natman's right tho, the one yer friend found coulda been a forgotten kid's stash. Maybe they were playing 'pirates' and forgot where they stashed the 'booty'!?!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
what does a memorial look like? they can't be that bad :icon_scratch:

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I do agree I hate digging them to but a Penny is a Penny and it adds up.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
shaun7 said:

its not that they are bad so much........its that they are common. really common. :wink: they are everywhere. if you detect in the States, memorial pennies are a small step above a pull tab! they have almost no value as a coin and a lot of people actually throw them away rather than carry them around. i don't know why the US govt still makes them to be honest. heres what one looks like.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 256

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
See I woulda dug till they were all in hand..... I am like that though...... the thought of missing some would haunt me all evening LOL

Most I have hit was 36 in 1 hole........ did hit 12 or 13 coins in one hole last yr...... quarters, dimes and pennies.. all after '65 though :(

But still cool as can be...... I enjoyed the 3 quarters, 5 pennies in one hole a few weeks back too :)

RAndy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I don't know why the US Govt' still make's them to be honest"....Amen Kieth....I wish I had a silver coin for each time I heard that one :thumbsup:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
hollowpointred said:
shaun7 said:

its not that they are bad so much........its that they are common. really common. :wink: they are everywhere. if you detect in the States, memorial pennies are a small step above a pull tab! they have almost no value as a coin and a lot of people actually throw them away rather than carry them around. i don't know why the US govt still makes them to be honest. heres what one looks like.

thanks looks ok to me! probably still made to keep the kids from burying all the bigger coins :thumbsup:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps some kid stole a gum ball machine and had to stash the loot so his or her parents wouldn't be asking where all the pennys came from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions