Got An Antique Cap Gun Out In One Piece!

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I felt a head cold coming on over the weekend, but I managed to detect a yard just over the river in Dupo, Illinois on Saturday morning before it got worse..I came back with a few goodies..the best find was a totally intact cap gun for my growing collection. It's the 4th one I've dug that came out in one piece :thumbsup: After finding a few dollars in clad, I found one silver coin, a 1939 Merc that I gave to the home owner (he watched me dig it up). Before I found it, he said, "Did you check in the flowers?" I hadn't, because I didn't think he'd want me digging there before he came out. So in reality, I wouldn't have found it if he hadn't been there.

I also found 2 old keys, a wing nut, a toy car, a Missouri tax token (from the 1930's), a dog tag (1992) and a Showbiz Pizza token. The ring was found earlier in the week in another private yard here in Missouri that I checked to death last year..just goes to show it's not too difficult to leave something behind. The ring is 10K gold filled with an outer layer of sterling (my 40th ring of the year!) :thumbsup:

CAP1.jpg

CAP7.jpg

CAP4.jpg

CAP2.jpg

CAP6.jpg

CAP5.jpg

I may have another yard or two lined up on the same street, and I'm hoping to get a chance to check them before the weather gets too cold.

Hope you all found a little treasure this weekend.
Nat

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have several just like it, and most cowkids who used them went to an early "roundup" because they were only single shots. I love old cap guns, I have a Daisy, several "Dicks", a Hawkeye, Texans, Stars.. etc. etc. Plus many miniature 'keychain' type guns about one to one and a hlf inches long........HH NGE

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Nat, nice finds!! :thumbsup: It's nice that the gun came up intact. I'll bet that signal was loud & clear...

Nice job on the rings, and gorgeous Mercs are always a joy to find in my book! Stay warm - there's a nasty bug going around, my friend! :wink:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little gun is great, Nat! And it was nice of you to offer the silver to the owner! 8)

Hope you're feeling better soon!! Congrats on all those finds! Nana :)

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
warsawdaddy said:
Great finds,Nat.That hunt will make you forget about any headcold.

Thanks..it was the only chance I had to hunt there this weekend so I had to get my hunt in! I've been out of commission since but it was worth it :wink:

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Well Done & Bravo Natman ...

Love the toy gun ...

Nick

Thanks Nick..hope you got your hunt in this weekend, the weather was great!

notgittinenny said:
I have several just like it, and most cowkids who used them went to an early "roundup" because they were only single shots. I love old cap guns, I have a Daisy, several "Dicks", a Hawkeye, Texans, Stars.. etc. etc. Plus many miniature 'keychain' type guns about one to one and a hlf inches long........HH NGE

I've grown quite fond of them too..I even found a Gene Autry gun in a neighbor's yard..unfortunately the metal wasn't as good as this one and it came out in 2 peices >:( I also found a Dick Tracy gun a few years ago and got it to work again after a little oiling :thumbsup:

kimsdad said:
Hey Nat, nice finds!! :thumbsup: It's nice that the gun came up intact. I'll bet that signal was loud & clear...

Nice job on the rings, and gorgeous Mercs are always a joy to find in my book! Stay warm - there's a nasty bug going around, my friend! :wink:

Thanks kimsdad..it was loud and clear..rang out like a quarter..I'm just amazed I didn't scrape it up with my digger ::)

Nana40 said:
That little gun is great, Nat! And it was nice of you to offer the silver to the owner! 8)

Hope you're feeling better soon!! Congrats on all those finds! Nana :)

Thanks Nana! I think I have 7 other Merc dimes I dug this year so far, so I was glad to share it..

Thanks for the get well wish..we make illnesses a family affair around here, we just keep giving it to each other over and over :tongue3:

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread