Its been the weekend for silver Jewlery

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
It's been the weekend for silver Jewlery

After posting the Pfennig coin and 2 older silver jewlery pieces this morning, I went out to do a little more dirt feeshin'. On top of the 43 coins I picked up 2 rings one modern and silver and older ??? Gold plated. I also Dug a beauty of a silver cross. These were all dug about 100 yards from where the older items came from yesterday. Since I had to pass by yesterdays spot, I decided to swing through that area as I walked home. Well, I dug the nice little red stone that is seated in a small band of silver. Examining the edges it appears to have been part of a ring and is of the same period as the Butterfly and ring I posted earlier. Guess i'll be revisiting that area again soon.

The gold plated ring has some hallmarking that I have not seen before nor can I make all of it out. It appears to say that it is 18K Heavy Gold Gilt which leads me to believe it is an older make. I'm no jewlery expert so everyones interpretation and opinion is welcome.
front of the modern cross and ring. Note the older red stone (part of an older ring?)
DSCN3250.JPG
Back
DSCN3251.JPG
the gold plated ring
DSCN3254.JPG
attempt one at capturing the hallmark
DSCN3253.JPG
attempt two at getting a ledgible shot of the hallmark
DSCN3252.JPG
another shot of the same ring
DSCN3255.JPG

Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Re: It's been the weekend for silver Jewlery

very nice finds,Silver and Gold.Sounds just like a song.
Just in time for Christmas :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Dred Pirat Dodd

Aug 1, 2008

Ring has been in the ground awhile if those pearls are ate up like that, or acidic soil... Cool finds

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

that stone may be a garnet, that only means it was too dark to be classified a ruby. these were given to priests alot as they were thought to have healing powers. it is also the january birthstone.

http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/garnet.htm

p.s. that cross is gorgeous

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The cross is beautifully designed. Fantastic finds!

:wink: RR

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Three pieces of treasure -wow! show us the back of the red stone please and the front of the silver ring!

Great cross too!

SKD

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBX Slumlord said:
The photos show both sides of all three items.
What about the silver ring from the top then so we can see what it looks like on a finger! Most rings don't have a right and left side like your heart shaped ring--or maybe it is a locket and not a ring.

skd

repairman65

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2008

Hay Joe. Neat finds. After tomarrows elections and the rains leave I will be back on the beach.

Dad

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II

SoreKneesDayton said:
OBX Slumlord said:
What about the silver ring from the top then so we can see what it looks like on a finger! Most rings don't have a right and left side like your heart shaped ring--or maybe it is a locket and not a ring.

skd

Sore Knees - after taking the photos below I think this was more likeley a pendant than a ring. Can't imagine it would be comfortable to wear or much to look at on a finger

DSCN3262.JPG DSCN3263.JPG DSCN3264.JPG DSCN3265.JPG

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds, where's the Roman and Celtic? There are some great areas to detect around Frankfurt. I am curious where you are detecting? Farm fields? HH, Mike

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II

Bavaria Mike said:
Nice finds, where's the Roman and Celtic? There are some great areas to detect around Frankfurt. I am curious where you are detecting? Farm fields? HH, Mike

I'm hunting the US Consulate Housing area only. I would love to hunt the fields but I don't speak enough German to ask for permission and I also cannot figure out what the actual laws are. I would love to get out and find some Roman goodies.

S

seger98

Do you have a permit to dig all that silver? :icon_jokercolor:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBX Slumlord said:
SoreKneesDayton said:
OBX Slumlord said:

skd

Sore Knees - after taking the photos below I think this was more likeley a pendant than a ring. Can't imagine it would be comfortable to wear or much to look at on a finger

Thanks for the views OBX but the middle shape is surely a ring, otherwise it would have been a heart shape as well. If it were a pendent it would droop to the heaviest side--the top of the heart and look like--well, somebodies behind--on a chain. A young girl in love would like it as ring and the size looks right for a slender woman. IMHO

Great find anyway and I can hardly wait for more posts of interesting finds from you.
SKD

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBX, I would like to help you out with detecting there but you are too far away from me. I am near Graf. The detecting laws in Hessen are tough, they require a permit like Bavaria does that is hard to get. Not speaking the German language is even harder. You probably have access to most military installations, I have never been questioned detecting on the American installations and would suggest you try close by areas, even the posts that have been closed, try Friedberg where Elvis was stationed. Wish I could help you more but I would have to know you better, LOL. HH and good luck, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread