Wax Seal Stamp - My First

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
It's been awhile since I last posted but it does'nt mean I've not been hunting. The yard where I found the Jetton a month or so ago, has given me a few more goodies. The signals are fewer but progressively deeper so I guess I'm doing something right. Dug a few Silver Necklace? Beads, a dog of a Pfennig (can't tell if it's 1708, 1738, or 1798), a two piece button with a bird, a silver two piece button with Bagpipes, the face of a button (at first I thought it was an old bottle cap but the face is silver), and a nice silver ring with an onyx setting. Of course I am still getting the usual piles of coins (i've dug more than a thousand coins since the beginning of September). The best find from this yard to date has to be the Wax Seal. It is a first for me.

The Jetton found several weeks ago
DSCN3096.JPG DSCN3096.JPG
The Wax Seal Stamp
DSCN3093.JPG DSCN3330.JPG
DSCN3331.JPG
The 17?? Pfennig
DSCN3341.JPG DSCN3342.JPG
The Bird and Bagpipe buttons
DSCN3343.JPG DSCN3336.JPG
The Silver beads and button face
DSCN3335.JPG DSCN3334.JPG
The Silver Ring
DSCN3332.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3292.JPG
    DSCN3292.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
Bavaria Mike said:
Very nice finds, seal matrices are one of my favorites! Yours looks to date around the 1600s-1700s. I just saw a bagpipe button was found in the USA, http://www.americanrelichunters.com/cgi-bin/relic/webbbs_config.pl/read/108196 , if you are interested. Congrats and HH, Mike

Thanks for the link Mike. I still have not taken a shot at venturing outside the housing area yet. At this point I don't really need to the finds here are plentiful and wide rangeing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBX, I just noticed the bagpipe button is posted on this forum as well under TSGman. I don't think it matters where you detect around Frankfurt, you will always find interesting relics and coins. There is a nice Roman fort outside of Frankfurt, I think it is called Saalburg near Bad Homburg. Here's a link, interesting tour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saalburg . Here's a short story about that fort. I went there a few years ago and they were digging a huge hole in the middle of the fort with a backhoe and dumping the dirt into dump trucks. Of course I had the detector with so I asked the truck driver where he was dumping it and ended up following him to the dump site. It was a rainy nasty day. Had to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the dump site, a work colleague was with me. We got muddy and finally reached the dump only to find they were pushing it over a cliff into a ravine along with several other truck loads. No way to detect, got wet and muddy but we had a good laugh about it. Could have been interesting. Just thought I would share that with you, LOL. HH, Mike

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on those great finds including your first Wax Seal Stamp, nice old one too :icon_thumleft: Good Luck on the spot there.
Glenn

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Bavaria Mike said:
OBX, I just noticed the bagpipe button is posted on this forum as well under TSGman. I don't think it matters where you detect around Frankfurt, you will always find interesting relics and coins. There is a nice Roman fort outside of Frankfurt, I think it is called Saalburg near Bad Homburg. Here's a link, interesting tour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saalburg . Here's a short story about that fort. I went there a few years ago and they were digging a huge hole in the middle of the fort with a backhoe and dumping the dirt into dump trucks. Of course I had the detector with so I asked the truck driver where he was dumping it and ended up following him to the dump site. It was a rainy nasty day. Had to park the car and walk the rest of the way to the dump site, a work colleague was with me. We got muddy and finally reached the dump only to find they were pushing it over a cliff into a ravine along with several other truck loads. No way to detect, got wet and muddy but we had a good laugh about it. Could have been interesting. Just thought I would share that with you, LOL. HH, Mike

Yep, here's a link to tsgman's post with the button: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,202942.msg1441475.html#msg1441475

Awesome recoveries OBX, Congrats!
I dig that silver ring in the last photo..
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Your Pfennig looks like a 1798.

Any idea of the age of the silver ring? It is a beautiful find.

Regards,

Buckles

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, only wish I would have had a detector way back in 1967 when I was
stationed at Kelly Barracks, near Stuttgart. Man you guys are lucky to be there now
with the detectors we have.

Congrats on all your finds, Ringfinder

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on your first Seal Stamp OBX.Great looking bunch of find's especially the ring,Beautiful!!! I'd still rather have all your CW find's though!! :thumbsup:

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Now thats cool, id have to try out the seal on some envelopes. ;D

OP
OP
*Dig-Dug*

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
Update - Wax Seal Stamp - My First

Jimmy(PA) said:
Now thats cool, id have to try out the seal on some envelopes. ;D

OK you convinced me - I cleaned the seal and played in the wax. The Stamp really leaves an impression ;D. Initially I thought this was a whimsical stamp of someone jumping rope on a log or ball but after showing it around to people who are smarter than me, the "Rope" is more likely the Greek letter OMEGA. For the time period, late 1600's early 1700's (thanks to Bavaria Mike and Crusader), It likely has a religious connotation. The initials on it are "R" and "K". So far, that is all I currently know about the stamp. Anybody care to speculate further?

DSCN3362.JPG DSCN3363.JPG

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I love that stamp and talk about old....

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I venture to speculate, LOL! It certainly does look like the Greek Omega sign, "Great 0 (Zero)". Much like my Ohm meter I use most days at work. With that said, I would surmise the seal is from an Electrician in the 1600s or possibly a Mathematician :icon_scratch:. It is possible to find the owner, anyone having a seal matrix back then would have been registered with the town. Digging through the archives of consensus could produce the owner as the Germans had strict laws regarding smart people and work trades back then. Now getting to the archives might be hard and even harder would be trying to read that old German written language. I have not pursued that rout yet, LOL. I saw your CW finds, very nice and you are not a newby to the hobby. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread