May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent 3 hours on here today. I won't quite finish it in time for the Archies but I will give them the maps tomorrow, as they leave the site on Weds. Not expecting much from the last couple of hunts on this field, so the maps will be fairly complete.

No much to report. A Railway Button was about my best find.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 487
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 460
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: Winter Strubble Field - Day 11......

Nice finds! Are those mostly all buttons?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seger98 said:
Nice finds! Are those mostly all buttons?

Top picture, yes. Bottom has 2 lead tokens & 3 bag seals.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Whats the thing n the right, next to the bag seals?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
Whats the thing n the right, next to the bag seals?

Top right is part of a suspender clip (I think)
Under that is a thingy :icon_scratch: (modernish)

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

whats a strubble field by the way? a mixture of stubble and trouble?
you did say it was hard work ;D

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll

Those find look pretty old especially the ones in the middle with the letters on them. They look like lead/pewter?? Nice finds just the same.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shaun7 said:
whats a strubble field by the way? a mixture of stubble and trouble?
you did say it was hard work ;D

Indeed ;D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Thanks for posting the pics, Crusader!
Always neato digs.

It's a great thing you are out there recovering things that would otherwise be lost to society.

:thumbsup:
rmptr

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't understand why you don't get a lot more hammered coins :icon_scratch: your posts always show a lot of finds from the Medieval period, like the crotal bells and sack seals and various outher bits and pieces, obviously the areas your detecting have seen a lot of activity, I know you have posted your fair share of hammered but can't understand why you haven't found more :icon_scratch: I have only ever found one crotal bell complete and one that was broken, and only a handfull of sack seals, I know these two items date to post Medieval but a lot of yours are from the middle or earlier, do you have any thoughs or are you happy with the amount of hammered you are getting :thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
Can't understand why you don't get a lot more hammered coins :icon_scratch: your posts always show a lot of finds from the Medieval period, like the crotal bells and sack seals and various outher bits and pieces, obviously the areas your detecting have seen a lot of activity, I know you have posted your fair share of hammered but can't understand why you haven't found more :icon_scratch: I have only ever found one crotal bell complete and one that was broken, and only a handfull of sack seals, I know these two items date to post Medieval but a lot of yours are from the middle or earlier, do you have any thoughs or are you happy with the amount of hammered you are getting :thumbsup:

I wondered this myself. I have had many medieval buckles, sexfoils, cloth seals, jettons etc & very little hammered of these two fields. It seems to be mostly Roman Bronzes or nothing. Its about average (for our fields) for hammered, so I can't complain. I just wish I had a market or fair site, never done one of these! :o

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:
I wondered this myself. I have had many medieval buckles, sexfoils, cloth seals, jettons etc & very little hammered of these two fields. It seems to be mostly Roman Bronzes or nothing. Its about average (for our fields) for hammered, so I can't complain. I just wish I had a market or fair site, never done one of these! :o
I myself don't think the problem is with the fields, its with the people that in the middle ages who did(not) live there for some reason. Where people are the coins will be lost, and the silver pennies were just coins back then. The must be a reason why one field or location would turn up more than an other. I would think it has an direct link to how many people ever came onto the land. Some land, like in Holland, were under water in the middle ages, or were swamps which were later drained. There could be all so many reasons why other land, used by the Romans for instance, was never used again until recently and many era's just passed by without farmers or people on the land.

If many bronze coins turn up, and no silver, I think that it was just farmed or lived in by poor people. Not everyone was rich back then. Maybe an other idea is that the ground is or was just worn out by many years of farming and people just went someplace else to farm. That happened back then, there was much more ground available to farm. Nowadays every little tiny place is either farmed or built on it seems. Back then they didn't have the fertilizer that we have nowadays either, they had only so much organic. We just take bad soil and fill it full of artificial fertilizer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions