No silver today but a couple interesting finds

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I was able to get out for a short while again today at a couple new spots. Down the freeway from my town I spotted a nice place to plant my coil. After about 15 minutes I got a great signal and proceeded to dig. Up here in Washington things get much muddier than in So. Cal, and so although I knew I had a nice round disc, like a coin, I wasn't quite sure what it was until I started wiping off the mud. Saw the wreaths and, well, you can guess what my first thoughts were!! Well, it didn't turn out to be a large cent but a neat token medallion nonetheless from the W.P. Fullers & Co.s. I found some info on the company (but not the medallion) here: http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId...ghist-1.7.3&query=W. P. FULLER / 10&brand=oac

My next item came from scanning near an old cemetery (not in it, but on the outskirts). About 50 yards away is an old bottle dump, full of hundreds of broken bottles!! One of these days I'll see if I can dig out a few keepers. Anyway, back to my story. I detected for about another fifteen minutes before I hit this next item, what I call a Michelangelo brooch. It probably isn't old but it's definitely a first for me. Never have found anything like it. It even still has the stone set in it. If anybody knows what the copyright JJ means, please let me know.

Ray

Attachments

• reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 582
  • obverse.jpg
    obverse.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 578
  • brooch1.jpg
    brooch1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 571
  • brooch2.jpg
    brooch2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 571
Upvote 0

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds!!

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yes, the wreaths really had my mind racing for a moment, till I saw the cat on the other side!!

Found some info about the brooch I dug up:

Originally started in 1937 by Abraham Lisker and called the Providence Jewelry Company, and then Lisker and Lisker, the company closed during WWII. When it reopened it did so under the name Jonette (a combo of the parent's name John and Etta). The "JJ" mark was used starting in 1970. The business ceased operations in 2006, so expect the pieces to become more collectible.

(http://www.sharonsvintagestore.com/catalog.php/web4me2day/dt32142/JJ_Jonette_Jewelry)

The brooch I found is pewter, by the way. Not sure what the stone is or if it is real but in the pic it looks clear like a diamond when in fact it is yellowish.

Ray

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Very interesting finds, Ray!!

I've never seen anything like that down here. :icon_scratch: :tongue3: :tongue3:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice relics.

Not one's you see all the time.

HH Jer

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Cool finds, what part of WA state you detecting in?

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 242
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 244
OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone!

49er, I live in Vader which is near Toledo. I found these items south of me near Kelso.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions