Whats it doing in East Central Indiana

Lee43

Oct 29, 2006
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
What's it doing in East Central Indiana

When I met up with Larry and Joe, he had dug a Killer Button and What The H... is it doing in east central Indiana..Joe dug a Confederate Louisiana Button, When he showed it to me I really could not believe it, I brought it home to make sure it was civil war period by the back mark,it is. I sent a picture to my civil war relic dealer friends in Fredericksburg, Va. and they confirmed what I thought it was. In Alberts book it is LA6, I do not have Tice's book so I can't give what number he uses. In over 35 years of relic hunting I have only dug 1 Louisiana Button. So a big Super Congrats to Joe for finding a Super Button. It is much rarer than most of the coins we find here in east central Indiana. Makes my large cent and Indian sort of Ho-Hum...........Lee

Attachments

• joe1.jpg
    joe1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 521
  • joe2.jpg
    joe2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 520
  • joe1.jpg
    joe1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 522
  • joe2.jpg
    joe2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 502
  • joe1.jpg
    joe1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 517
  • joe2.jpg
    joe2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: What's it doing in East Central Indiana

That button is really nice. Good question "Whats it doing in Indiana".

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

I don't know what it is doing there but if you wish you could send it to me and you won't have to wonder anymore--LOL

just kidding but really I will take it--LOL

That is a awesome button Congrats

fortbball9

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

That is a question I would have asked! But I too have found stuff where I have asked myself, "What is that doing here in Western Michigan?" Among those finds are an 1800's New York State Militia Belt Plate and Cuff Button........my how they have traveled huh!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's an excellent find. Don't worry about why it's there--just get out there and look for the next one!

:o Man oh man, that's some eye candy there....

:)

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Someone probably brought it home from the war. I found a New York state button in Ohio a few months ago :o

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007

It is not like the uniforms stoppped being functional clothing after the war. Much as military surplus is worn today, I am sure it was then. I vet may have moved north after the war and continued wearing his uniform as clothing or simply recycled the buttons to save money, or as crazyjarhead sugested it may have beenn a war trophy. Cool find, gives one much to ponder.

CivilWarJR

Greenie
Dec 3, 2008
South West Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300/Prizm ll

One thing to remember about the Civil War is that it was Brother against Brother etc. etc.... the War lasted for 4 years and at times one Brother might have wanted to go home to be with his family (Brother), lets say in East Central Indiana. Well, it might have happen like that...<grin>. Very Nice Find.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other

Reunions happen everywhere! I have found plenty of 45-70 empties in some of my local parks around here, only to find out later that the G.A.R. used to have reunions in this area.........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread