buried family fortune

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, c-scope,laser b2
in 1600s ,during the civil war, cromwells army was marching back from evesham,where i now work for dawn foods (usa),and were approaching a local stately home,the owner ,loyal to the king, heard of the approaching army and told his butler to get the family siver and plate and hid it, so he did, taking the garden wheel barrow full of the family silver and set off into the night, dug a hole next to an old elm, and buried it, setting back, a small band of scounts in advance of the column saw him and fired a fatal shot, making it back to his master, only to inform him that it was buried next to an elm tree nr by, then died...the house was attacked and the owners tortured as to its silvers wereabouts..., but to no avail..it still is buried to this day....

i recentley metal detected the surrounding elms, but to no avail, but one tree a horse chestnut, threw up a dated silver spoon, whose ladle is no bigger than 5mm, and handle length 3", was it drpped from the bumpy ride to the tree.....i will see....soon hopefully

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
It's fun just detecting in an area with that kind of history.
Good Luck!
Mike

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
Great chance to maybe even find their buried gold somewhere on the property as well!

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting story.....good luck with the search

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
The 1600's ? I don't think I would be looking around existing trees then. Elm's live around 150-300 years and that's if it didn't get diseased with dutch elm.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be looking for a very big tree or a very big dead tree. Keep in mind it won't ring in as a small item, if your machine can even get to the depth it could be at. I hope you find it and you better post pictures if you do. I love sterling.... :o ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! :D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story welcome to the T Net :) do you have any pictures of the spoon?

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck on finding that lost silver, sounds like quite an adventure

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the dated silver spoon.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Story, I wish you luck in the coming year, hope you find your pot of gold, or in this case Silver!

HH, Ringfinder

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, when you locate it there won't be a question about the reading......... that much silver will give one he11 of a signal!!!!!!!
Good fortune, mate!
Watch out for ghosts of those Roundheads!!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread