More of my best relic day-silver piece id

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Here's more pictures from the other day including what i think is a forend cap for possibly a KY/PA longrifle. If it measures 29/32s across the opening for the barrel at the octagon portion, can anybody guess the caliber? There are also pictures of what appears to be an old folding knife and some of the best lead. Thanks for the input on the shield-shaped item, CRUSADER. I had hoped it was military. Thanks in advance for any information on the gun.

Attachments

• finds 007.jpg
    finds 007.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • finds 024.jpg
    finds 024.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 990
  • finds 021.jpg
    finds 021.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 997
  • finds 020.jpg
    finds 020.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,002
  • finds 017.jpg
    finds 017.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,004
  • finds 011.jpg
    finds 011.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,002
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More of my best relic day

The broken shield item you found is a harness boss.

The nose cap from an octagonal barrel gun is Way Cool! And of course, the artillery button is Top Notch.

Is the flat piece in your photo silver?

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

Yes I forgot to ask about the silver piece. It has a very tiny "RC" ot "RG" stamped near the hole. And also something stamped on the opposite side of the hole near the edge, but I can't make it out. It is very thin. Any ideas?

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs, especially the nose cap, you need to get the rest of the barrel! That would be way cool!

Badger

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scratcher said:
Yes I forgot to ask about the silver piece. It has a very tiny "RC" ot "RG" stamped near the hole. And also something stamped on the opposite side of the hole near the edge, but I can't make it out. It is very thin. Any ideas?

I think you should post that one piece separately (photo of both sides, with something beside it for scale) in the What is It section of Tnet.

Those letters may be a silversmith's mark that we can narrow down--and with a site that old, it'd be really cool if we could find the stamp somwhere.

I don't have a book or resource that will list it, but someone will.

Regards,

Buckles

Square Nail

Greenie
Nov 5, 2008

The nose cap is smaller than an inch, there fore is it was a very large caliber there wouldn't be much metal left on each side of the hole. So my guess is that it wasn't larger than .40. But that's just a s.w.a.g. and if you put a dollar with it you might get a cup of coffee. About all you really know is that it's off of a full stock long rifle.

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008

Looks like the nose piece came from a rifle that had a flared or "swamped" barrel. Nice find, and a lot of the early rifles were .36 to .45 caliber. Way to Go

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

I think the reason the cap looks that way is because it is slightly bent. Probably from when it fell off. It is heavy duty, I can't flex it at all. Interesting to think of the circumstances that it may have been knocked off...

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly what is a gun nose cap. I think I may have found one too. Does anyone know where on the net I can see a pic of one on a gun? Thanks, and great finds, Bryan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
BuckleElf said:
scratcher said:

I think you should post that one piece separately (photo of both sides, with something beside it for scale) in the What is It section of Tnet.

Those letters may be a silversmith's mark that we can narrow down--and with a site that old, it'd be really cool if we could find the stamp somwhere.

I don't have a book or resource that will list it, but someone will.

Regards,

Buckles

Perhaps try the fur trade era board, just to rule that out.

A great idea!

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

As suggested by plehbah and buckles I decided to put the silver piece on the fur trade board. I was cruising the posts first, however, and came across a silver piece with the exact same stamp!! Apparently it was made in canada between 1773 and 1809 by a Robert Cruickshank. I am blown away by the info available on these forums. If you only knew the "junk" I threw away when I was a kid because I didn't know what it was. I still have my old bounty hunter from those days(see below)..... Can someone tell me what these cut pices of silver were for? I found another more ornate one today of similar size at the same site that is producing all these relics. Also an old stirrup and many more lead balls and a couple more old buttons. Thanks for the recommendations to look into the silver more deeply guys, I really appreciate it

Attachments

• metaldetector.jpg
    metaldetector.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 551

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I'd love to see the photo of the piece you found today--plus the buttons and other goodies. Lemme know when you get a post up.

Great Job!

-Buckles

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
BuckleElf said:
Awesome! I'd love to see the photo of the piece you found today--plus the buttons and other goodies. Lemme know when you get a post up.

Great Job!

-Buckles

Here is a photo of the second piece I found. Do you think these were for trade purposes? I'll try the fur trade forum if you aren't sure. Thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• cutsil 105.JPG
    cutsil 105.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 508
  • cutsil 104.JPG
    cutsil 104.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 502
  • cutsil 103.JPG
    cutsil 103.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 485

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...those are definitely pieces of trade silver!!! Phenonmenal!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, yes! Trade Silver--and GREAT finds--especially the Cruickshanks piece. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread