Nice looking 1845 Large Cent and other finds

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
I decided to give the cavalry camp a break for a few days and hit another area. I dug all of the pistol bullets within a 2 foot circle. I then dug the silver spoon, the silver suspender buckle, and a few more bullets. I was heading back to my truck, covering an area that I have hunted many times when I got a faint signal at 5". I dug it and was surprised to find this 1845 large cent - standing on it edge, hence the faint signal. It is by far the best looking large cent I have dug, or seen dug. I circled the area a little and came up with what appears to be a button back, any other ideas???? Also, any ideas on the engraving on the handle of the spoon and the makers mark???

122908 finds.JPG
All Finds​

1845 Large Cent front.JPG
1845 Large Cent​

1845 Large Cent back.JPG

Button back & large cent.JPG
Button Back??​

Button front & large cent.JPG
Button Front??​

Silver Buckle.JPG
Silver Buckle​

Silver Spoon Engraving.JPG
Silver Spoon Engraving​

Silver Spoon Makers Mark.JPG
Silver Spoon Makers Mark​

Thanks for looking. Any help on the button and/or silver spoon is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
dcooper1 said:
I decided to give the cavalry camp a break for a few days and hit another area. I dug all of the pistol bullets within a 2 foot circle. I then dug the silver spoon, the silver suspender buckle, and a few more bullets. I was heading back to my truck, covering an area that I have hunted many times when I got a faint signal at 5". I dug it and was surprised to find this 1845 large cent - standing on it edge, hence the faint signal. It is by far the best looking large cent I have dug, or seen dug. I circled the area a little and came up with what appears to be a button back, any other ideas???? Also, any ideas on the engraving on the handle of the spoon and the makers mark???

All Finds​

1845 Large Cent​

Button Back??​

Button Front??​

Silver Buckle​

Silver Spoon Engraving​

Silver Spoon Makers Mark​

Thanks for looking. Any help on the button and/or silver spoon is greatly appreciated.
Looks like a spoon made by John C. Moore & son 1845-1868 They produced for Tiffany
I found a similar spoon earlier this year which turned out to be made from coin silver. Colonists would bring silver coins in to the local silversmith to melt and make silverware etc so it would be personalized just in case of theft and I would bet this is one also since it was monogramed. Here is a link.
http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_M2.html

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Large Cent and really like the 2 ringers and spoon. Great Finds. Looks like you cleaned
the Large cent in water at home. If you use soft water to clean copper coins, they will turn rust
color. Usually I don't clean a coin like this. If you can read it, just dust off the dirt and leave it alone.

In my early days, I would try to clean V nickles with water, Bad News. They turned to rust and I '
couldn't read even the date after trying to clean them.

The coin you have, in the United States Coins Red Book for the year 2000, in good condition rates
at $11. I bet in today's prices it's worth much more than that. Your coin is very nice, and you can read
a lot of detail Most Large cents dug, you can't even read the date.

Congrats on all your finds.

HH,Ringfinder

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
S

seger98

You had a great hunt, nice large cent & spoon, the buckle is cool!

Chris

OP
OP
dcooper1

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
ringfinder said:
Nice Large Cent and really like the 2 ringers and spoon. Great Finds. Looks like you cleaned
the Large cent in water at home. If you use soft water to clean copper coins, they will turn rust
color. Usually I don't clean a coin like this. If you can read it, just dust off the dirt and leave it alone.

In my early days, I would try to clean V nickles with water, Bad News. They turned to rust and I '
couldn't read even the date after trying to clean them.

The coin you have, in the United States Coins Red Book for the year 2000, in good condition rates
at $11. I bet in today's prices it's worth much more than that. Your coin is very nice, and you can read
a lot of detail Most Large cents dug, you can't even read the date.

Congrats on all your finds.
HH,Ringfinder

Ringfinder,
Thanks for the info.
I DID rinse it off at home (well water - if that makes any difference). I also immediately coated it with some PAM (cooking spray) to help protect it, read that "trick" on here years ago. It didn't really need any cleaning because of the soil that it came out of, nice rich dark stuff. I was pretty surprised when I dug it because of the amount of detail, I too have found enough of them where you can barely make out that it was a large cent.
Thanks again.
dcooper1

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Nice finds!
Nice silver spoon
I love 925-1000 great site.. there used to be a site (I think Dutch) that had literally 1000's of marks.. went down and never came back up.. too bad used it a lot for this sort of thing..
Nice Call Zeus!...
Wonder if the Monogram and where you found the spoon are related?? Know the owners or past owners??
Interesting!
Happy New Year
J2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions