Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old, old Park and a bit-o' silver

Went to the oldest park in the City that I know of this morning. It has been hunted hundred of times I'nm sure, but I saw some new water lines being put in last time I was by there and they did quite a bit of excavation. I searched just the area of the new excavation mostly out of curiosity to see what turns up. Well, not much it seems! I picked up $0.96 in clad, one wheat penny dated 1917, and a silver earring. The wheatie was at 6+ inches while the clad was from two to four inches deep. The earring was right next to the sifewalk, down in that area between the sidewalk and the grass where dropped things tend to collect. Took a pic of the wheatie and the earring but having some link up problems this morning so I'll put up a pic or two later. JIM

Upvote 0

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Old, old Park and a bit-o' silver

I would say that's a lot more than "not much." Congrats on a great hunt! :)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good deal Jim,

HH

Lonewolfe

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

1917 is a pretty early date! makes me wonder what else is buried in that 6+ inches range?! i think a return trip (or multiple trips) is in order! nice digs!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey Jim good going. Seems like your coming out of the slump. Was the 1917 in good shape. Congrats...Lance

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice finds Jim,

1917 is good.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good to see you find some valuable items!!

Keep @ it and HH!!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The 1917 wheat cent had a little tarnish as was to be expected but other than that it was in good condition.? I think this park has been hunted so much that now everyone tends to shy away from it.? That's what I'm banking on, no pun intended!? I got a couple of iffy signals down at about 9", but didn't dig them.? May go back in the AM? and make another run over that area.? The wheatie didn't have a mint mark on it that I could find. It that normal for a coin that old or is there supposed to be one on it? JIM

Jessejam

Jul 10, 2005
Malden, Ma.

Hi jimmileo, the 1917 wheat is a philladelphia mint coin, that's why there's no mint mark. Good finds.

Jim

WV Hunter

Greenie
Sep 1, 2005
West Virginia

Keep going back there is more and older stuff to get. I have been hitting a park that dates back in the 1800s and have been hit by people for a long time. I just started hunting it this summer and found a hand full of change that goes back to 1916. But there is another person hunting it also but he/she is not placing the plugs back. I figure it will be a matter of time before the town puts a stop to it. I have never seen them to ask them to fill the hole better but cant catch them around. He must be new at it because he will leave a hole with a pull tab in it and when i take my hand a move the little bit of dirt there is the tab and then a 1" or 2" under that will be a dime or penny every time.

Scallywag

Sep 15, 2004

Nice find, Jim. I hit that old park between 43rd and 44th a couple of months ago, and came out with some clad, a finger watch(ring), and a 1919 wheat.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hadn't been to this park in quite a while and I noticed there was quite a bit of new landscaping. Perhaps they uncovered some of the goodies that were out of reach? I'll give it another going over really good before I move on. I hit a park called Challenger park out west a few weeks ago. I hunted the area where the main building use to be before they built a new one and found a pocket full of clad quarters. Nothing at all around the new building. JIM

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's great!! :D

R

rvbvetter

A 1917 wheat and silver too, sounds very good to me. When you're getting that far back, it could of just as easily been a Barber or seated dime. WTG!! HH

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,

Way to go Jim, it's always nice to find an area that's been excavated. You almost assured that what you find will be older. Good luck on your next visit there.

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Jim..............nice finds

Kermit

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Congrats on the bit 'o silver!

And wheat is always nice to dig!

Keep us posted on your progress!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Went back yesterday (Thursday) to finish up the excavated area and didn't find anything but $1.60 in clad! Found another small silver earring in the parking lot on top of the asphalt. Unfortunately didn't match the first one! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread