Oil Field Grove yields 16...1962 pennies, Chinese coin & wheaties

chumpchange

Jul 26, 2003
Seal Beach,CA.
Oil Field Grove yields 16...1962 pennies, Chinese coin & wheaties

Close to home, (Southern California) is a 9 acre Eucalyptus Grove that I frequently hunt. The grove was once a camp site for the workers of the neighboring oil fields. Saturday, I found a Chinese coin (the type with the square in the middle) which I inadvertantly broke while rubbing olive oil on it. These coins are paper-thin and the square in the middle obviously weakens the overall integrity of the disc. I took the coin to a chinese restaurant and I was told it was 300 yrs. old. Hopefully, I'll uncover a few more. Today I found 16 1962 Pennies scattered in a 5-foot radius before it became dark. I will go back and see if they're are anymore. This grove has also yielded many wheaties, keys, dog licenses, parking tokens, ax heads and a 1861 seated dime. Last weak, after a good signal, I turned over a shovel full of dirt and saw a glint of the yellow.....turned out to be a french 20 cent coin from 1975.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Re: Oil Field Grove yields 16...1962 pennies, Chinese coin & wheaties

Very nice finds!!! Watch out on those chinese coins. They can easily and accidentily be discriminated out. I dug one that the signal was breaking up so bad, i nearly didn't dig. Turned out to be 200 plus yrs old. HH

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Hey Chumpchange, nice finds. Can you post any pictures? Congrats...Lance

Andee

Sep 12, 2005
Clarence, NY

Very nice finds. I love 60's Mem. Pennys, don't know why. I guess that's a good thing since I find so many!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Great finds and sounds like you got an awesome site! Its a good idea to hunt with the discrim turned up just past iron on these type of sites. The chines resturant knew! lol.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi

Despite there age I understand that they were produced by the billions, I have 7 myself and they are pretty much worthless, like much of the stuff that comes from China.

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Great job! I'm sure you were excepionally exited about finding that 20 cent piece. Post some pics if you can so we all can enjoy your finds.

GL & HH,

Dugholes

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a great place to hunt

Kermit

OP
OP
C

chumpchange

Jul 26, 2003
Seal Beach,CA.

Update; Went back today and dug 9 more 1962 pennies for a total of 25.....must a been a roll of them that someone lost years ago. The coins show no wear but have the "Buried Effect".
Sorry Lance...can't post any pic's. The goldish 1975 french coin reminds me of the Sacajawea coin.
The coin is quarter sized with a female head profile with flowing hair. The reverse has the French slogan, "Liberte,Egalite,Fraternite"

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice site and finds! HH, Mike

K

Kentucky Kache

miester said:
Despite there age I understand that they were produced by the billions, I have 7 myself and they are pretty much worthless, like much of the stuff that comes from China.
I had one one of those coins and was told that it was worthless. I just don't know.

R

rvbvetter

I think there generally not worth much, if anything. But to me, just finding them and the age of them is cool. HH

K

Kentucky Kache

They are different, that's for sure.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Great finds!

About the value of the chinese coin.... Confucious say: They are only worthless to those who worry about worth

K

Kentucky Kache

I wonder what Confucius say about paying your bills. ;D
Good point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread