Goal reached (long)

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
First warm day after a hard freeze and I went out. Drove all the way down to CWB and had problems right off the bat. I didn't check my machine before I left. I got all my gear together and walked to the sand and turn the machine on and - nothing. The batteries were dead! Sheesh. DUH! A real "newbie" mistake. WHEN WILL I LEARN? ::) I had planned on hitting a couple of places today so I had put my Garrett in the car as well so all was not lost. I walked back to the car and switched machines. My Garrett is a great machine and I love it but not for the beach. I had to stay in the dry sand. Every time I got near the wet areas it would sound off. The brochures "say" you can hunt the beach with it and you can even go in the water with the coil but I've found that with mine - that just isn't true. So I stayed in the dry sand. I marked myself off a big square in front of one of the hotels and decided to just grid that area. My third pass around I noticed a sign saying that the beach was for hotel patrons only. DUH! Why had I never noticed those signs before? I started looking at other hotels along the beach and sure enough more of them had the same type of sign. Private beach for hotel patrons and members only. I never knew Clearwater Beach was private? Or at least certain areas of it such as in front of the Hilton and Sandpearl hotels. Well I wasn't the only one there anyway. I saw at least 7 other hunters out there this morning and two of them even crossed the area I had marked off to grid. I didn't stop and talk to any of them this morning. My total for hunting the dry sand... 58 cents!

Then I left to check out a new park I had just heard about and as I was driving I noticed another sign for a park. I've noticed this sign before but never paid much attention to it. This morning I turned around and went back to the park. I didn't care for the park much but it turned out to be the best place that I hunted this morning. I found most of my clad at this little park but I got there too late and people were already there with their kids and setting up for birthday parties so I did not hang around too long. I did manage to find an Asian coin there with all the other clad I found.

CoinAsian012409.jpg

On I went to the park that I had intended to check out in the first place. I found very little there but as I said it was getting late in the day to hunt the tot lots. There were no kids there but I still didn't find much there.

Then I wanted to check out if the causeway was open yet for Howard Park beach and there is a small tot lot there. I went over that pretty quick and only found 1 penny and 1 dime. The causeway will not be open for the beach area until the fall of 2009 so I guess that beach is out for this coming summer.

Oh well - my total for this morning was $2.93 in clad and one Asian coin. No jewelry. It was a beautiful morning and was great to be out. I'm happy. Hope your day went as well without the small problems I had. LOL

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Glad you reached your goal. Funny you didn't see those signs before but I am sure you were busy looking at the scenery and the ground in front of you while you were there. lol Glad there hasn't been an issue with it anyway. Nice that you woke up to a beautiful day...woke up to freezing fog with snow on the ground here and was none too happy about it! >:( lol Only 3 more days waking up here though and I will be down closer to you! YAY Congrats on a good day!!

O

ohannos

Great to be out on a sunny day, The asian coin is a japanese 10 yen coin btw

O

ohannos

mumszie said:
ohannos said:
Great to be out on a sunny day, The asian coin is a japanese 10 yen coin btw

Sooooo that would be how much in American money? Am I rich? LOL ::)

Well it could be a lucky coin. If so it can make you extremely rich :tard: If not, well then you have a couple of cents to spend if you would head to japan :D

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
plehbah said:
mumszie said:
I saw at least 7 other hunters out there this morning and two of them even crossed the area I had marked off to grid. I didn't stop and talk to any of them this morning.

Some people see meeting another metal detecting enthusiast as a chance for exchanging stories and fellowship, but you astutely used the moment as a chance to demoralize the competition with your determined attitude.

After you hand them a string of bitter defeats, you will have the beaches to yourself, and the treasures will rain down on you like golden showers from the Heavens!

I'm not sure I understand this. I usually do stop and chat for a short while when I see other MD'ers but this morning I was tired and they were not that close to me. I just "saw" them in the distance. I didn't intentionally ignore them. :'(

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear that you was able to get out. Still cold here up north. Just waiting for a nice day when I can get out...Matt

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i was under the impression that the beach from dunes to water is open for anyone that wants to use it......the hotels don't own the beach....if I'm wrong please chime in.....I'm planning on going down to Florida in couple months and sure don't wanna call anyone to bail me outa jail

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I don't know about other areas but Clearwater Beach has hotels along the "North" Beach and they have signs posted that the beach is private for their patrons. I never noticed them myself before the other day. Maybe there is an invisible line???? I don't know but I hunt there anyway and I've never been told to leave. No one has ever "said" anything to me about it. I just noticed the signs. I've seen others hunt the same area many times and as far as I know they have not been stopped either. So if someone knows for sure..... by all means speak up!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the warm sun. I have been to that beach many, many times.
Where the signs are at, are usually up near there hotel areas. Usually where there Sun Bathing chairs are at.

I understand that the hotels don't want people who metal detect without headsets coming around their
patrons. It is annoying when someone detects without a headset on. How would you like to be sitting there, trying to enjoy the sea and view and have to listen to the beep, beep, beep of a detector. That is why I always use a HEADSET.

Also sometimes, if you ask hotel management if you can hunt there area's, permission is sometimes given.
Maybe you could ask if anyone lost any valuables in there protected area. You would be glad to hunt for those items and return them if you find them. A little PR goes a long ways. I hunted a site like that in St. Pete for many, many years and still do. All it took was me getting out of the car and asking for permission and if any valuables were lost. I have returned many kids rings to happy families and even some nice rings to ladies. But I am still hunting that site.

I have another suggestion. I have a fishing tackle box that I carry all the time with me. It is a small one, but I have extra batteries, parts for my detectors, money, screwdrivers, pliers, electrician tape and above all toilet paper. You laugh at the last one, but I hope you don't get caught out in the woods sometime relic hunting and have a natural call. LOL

Hope some of my suggestions will help.

HH<Ringfinder

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Ringfinder your suggestions - I have a fishing tackle box that I carry all the time with me. It is a small one, but I have extra batteries, parts for my detectors, money, screwdrivers, pliers, electrician tape and above all toilet paper. You laugh at the last one, but I hope you don't get caught out in the woods sometime relic hunting and have a natural call - are great! I carry a small duffle bag in the car with me and have almost all the same stuff. Hmmmmm I didn't even think about the last item but I can see where that would be a good addition. Thanks

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Don't forget a small package of baby wipes....those things take the nastiest stuff off your hands and detector before you crawl back in your car. lol Might also replace that last item in a pinch! :thumbsup: lol

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cynangyl said:
Don't forget a small package of baby wipes....those things take the nastiest stuff off your hands and detector before you crawl back in your car. lol Might also replace that last item in a pinch! :thumbsup: lol

Yep, got some of those too. the ones that you get in a restaurant to wipe your hands, they don't take up much room.

HH, Ringfinder

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Mumzie I dont know about clearwater beach but growing up in south florida the furthest down they could claim as private property was the highest high tide mark. Now that was 30 years ago so I dont know how much has changed, Im glad you had a great day to detect. good luck on your next adventure
hh
dave+bobbie

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice finds Mumzie!

Glad it finally warmed up down there for you. This global warming is kicking everyones A$$ this Winter.
Keep swinging girl!
Mike
PS I think plebah is just yanking your chain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread