2 hour Civil War Hunt found artillery

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Ace 250, Vibra-Probe 560
Have not posted in awhile, but Ronin and I got out this past weekend. We had been waiting for hunting season to end so we could get back to the private farm in Suffolk, VA we have hunted in the past. The farm is on the Southern side of a Battlefield where a large artillery duel started the battle. In the past we found lots of schrapnel and a whole Union 3in Dyer shell. Posted pics last year.

Anyway, got out yesterday in the cold for about 2hrs and right away found another Dyer shell. This one is even in better shape than the last. More schrapnel and a few other iron pieces. We have had great luck since getting pemission to detect here. It is huge and we have not even begun to cover it all. We just started where we knew the batteries had been located and search behind them for over shot duds.

The best news of all is that we just got permission to detect on another farm where the Union soldiers and batteries were located. No one has ever detected there according to the owner. He has never granted permission before. There should definatly be some Confederate artillery there as well as the usual items. These farms are going to keep us busy for awhile.

Note: The shell is on its way to Northern, VA to be properly dis-armed.

Whippetdog/Ronin

Attachments

• 2 hour hunt.jpg
    2 hour hunt.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,099
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one HELL of a find! Nice Dyer! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's quite a recovery. How deep was the shell?

-Buckles

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, bet that baby was HEAVY, lugging it out of the field. Hope you know someone who can
help you clean it. BE CAREFUL!

Don't want to read about another guy getting blowed up!!

HH,Ringfinder

P.S. If you need some help with that other site, I'll be in Culpeper in March.

OP
OP
Whippetdog

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
The shell was about 18 inches deep. Came straight nose down. It was in the hole end up perfectly straight.

You can belive that we are careful with it. We were only about 50 yards away from the car. Having it professionally disarmed. Yes, don't want anymore accidents. :thumbsup:

weemskat

Jun 23, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds guys ( I Guess).I will need to read more of the War Relic hunts and try to learn what this stuff is.Best of luck with the new area. Greg (weemskat)

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
outtair said:
---Great shell---- How much do they charge to disarm in your area???

Hi outtair,

The average cost to just disarm a shell is 35 dollars. having it cleaned and preserved varies. I just have them disarmed and do the rest myself.

Ronin9868

S

seger98

Heck of a find! Congratulations, Like to see a picture of it when you get it back.

Chris

OP
OP
Whippetdog

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Yes, Ronin is a artillery magnet. He is trying to "patiently" teach me. :icon_study: I am the young Padwan. ::) Star Wars Humor!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wish I was there,,,,,nice.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
That sounds like more than just md'ing, sounds downright adventurous. Very cool!

OP
OP
Whippetdog

Whippetdog

Sep 19, 2005
Newport News, Va
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the congrats, I will make sure Ronin gets them. He actually found the Dyer. I think everyone knew That :o

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Whippetdog said:
Yes, Ronin is a artillery magnet. He is trying to "patiently" teach me. :icon_study: I am the young Padwan. ::) Star Wars Humor!
Yes, in time Whippetdog will be yanking out shells left and right. He just needs to be a little more PATIENT!. :o Just kidding. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread