License Plate

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out grub'n around the other day and dug up an old license plate that was in a couple of pieces. Does anyone know of a website that you could trace back to whom it belonged to or would that be highly classified information? ??? Thought it would be cool to find out the owners history. The plate was dated 38.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't know if such a data base exists that is available to the general public. Maybe your state department of transportation could do a license. Police departments can search license plates, but I don't know if they only go back a few years of not. Hope it helps.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't any such data base available. Your own state couldn't tell you who had a plate that old. There are many reasons why this is so, but the basic reason is, that there wasn't any real reason to keep those type of records, and if they did exist, who is going to sit down and download all of the info? Counties and cities have enough trouble just keeping track of the current registrations.

If your find was on private property, then maybe, by checking tax records, you could find a person who owned that property, maybe then, you could find out from a family member if they had that particular plate. Although, I'm not sure that someone would remember a plate that old. Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
P

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ron and Neb. I kinda figured that was the case. Hey, maybe license plate data entry could be added to the stimulus bill....um...err...I'd better just be quiet. ::)

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep diggin'!! There might be a '38 Packard right beneath where you found that plate!! :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread