Silver and Token from old mill town site

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi All,

This weekend I hit a site that was an old mill town, dating from the late 1800's to about 1920's. I've hit this site repeatedly since getting my first detector about 2 1/2 years ago. Very trashy site, very difficult to hunt.

On Saturday I got tired of digging iron and decided to try my hand at digging one of the numerous trash pits. Ended up with a single bottle (my digging shovel was a military E-tool...now I know why soldiers bitch about digging in). Bottle is a Gebhardt Eagle, Chili Powder, and has a date "17" on the bottom. This was my first dug bottle and I got impatient with the little shovel and broke a bit of the rim.

After re-filling the hole I decided to cross the creek and try to find a less trashy spot, hoping that I'd find a random coin drop. It paid off, and in the middle of a nice clear area quite a distance from where most of the buildings had been located I got a sweet, repeatible coin signal at 4". Popped the plug, broke it in half and saw a small reeded silver rim. The obverse was totally caked with dirt, but the reverse was fairly clean. First thing I noticed was the mint mark, a D. I put the coin in a baggie and resisted the temptation to take it to the creek to wash it off for the next 4 hours. When I got it home I soaked it in a cup of hot water for a couple hours, then blasted it with water from the tap and knocked enough crud off to see the 1919. I also noticed that somehow I had scratched it! I was so careful with this coin, never even touched the surface with anything other than water. I think that I must have scraped the coin along the side of the glass when I removed it.

Hit the same spot on Sunday and the only good signal was the token. If anyone knows about the Purity Dairy in Elko, NV, I'd love to hear from you. All I know is that the token is aluminum, and is the size of a quarter. Google searches don't turn up any record of a Purity Dairy in Elko. What I could find referred to Purity Dairy being established in 1924 in Indiana, and which is still in business.

Here's the pics:

Attachments

• DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 458
  • Feb82009.JPG
    Feb82009.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 458
  • copy2.JPG
    copy2.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice finds!!! Nothing on the token, but here's a little on Elko...http://www.nevadaobserver.com/History%20of%20Elko%20County%20(1881).htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread