I had to change the title of my post!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It was going to be "Dan didn't find all of the silver this week!" I went over to the silver farm around noon today, just as one of the owners was pulling in for lunch. The farm is owned by two brothers and their sister, all in the 50-60 range and single. The woman teaches music at my kids' school, one of the brothers works in Pittsburgh and the other is a dairy farmer with another farm just up the road. We got to talking about his herd (yes, I really enjoy hearing about farm animals) and it sounded to me like there might be some potential silver to be harvested around his other (vacant) farmhouse. I've developed a good rapport with these folks, so permission was quickly granted.
Rather than stay at the silver farm, I headed up to the other one and got started. I quickly spotted an old clothesline and began my search. This produced a nickel, but the hole I dug quickly filled with water so I'll save that area for a little drier weather. I found an area of the front yard that wasn't as damp and soon had a 61D Washington in my pocket. I can't remember when I last found a silver quarter (I could look it up, but life's too short), so I was already pleased. This was followed by three Rosies: a 46, 59D and a 64. I had pretty much made up my mind what the title of today's post was going to be when I got this huge signal (94, for XLT users). Curious, I dug. It was some sort of medallion (from a hubcap?) from an old Packard. Somebody out there recognizes this; it's pictured below. The next signal was another solid one, in the 85-87 range (usually quarter), and reading one inch deep. What came out was this Hubley Kiddie Toy race car; I've posted it and a lookalike from EBay. I thought those two items warranted diverting all the attention from the silver. Mind you, I'm pleased with the coins, but those other things are what made the day. I also pulled this pair of pliers from about two inches down; remarkably, they work fine. I ended up with a little more than a dollar in face, with better than half in silver. Not bad!

Attachments

• newfarm 001 (Small).jpg
    newfarm 001 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 647
  • newfarm 002 (Small).jpg
    newfarm 002 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 652
  • newfarm 003 (Small).jpg
    newfarm 003 (Small).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 639
  • hubley kiddie-toy.jpg
    hubley kiddie-toy.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 649
Upvote 0

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Wow...those are some awsome finds!!!!!! Sounds like you had some fun there!!

Ozzys_Angel

Mar 3, 2008
Jackson, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! I really need to get out an MD again just gotta wait for this cold weather to break

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That car is sooo kewl! :icon_pirat: So's the silver! 8)

Nana :wink:

S

seger98

Some nice finds, love the silver & that car is a way cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread